Thread: Track printouts of the .doc files of a network

Track printouts of the .doc files of a network

I have three systems on the network that are connected to each other. I have a common printer for all the three systems. Now I want to have the count of the .doc files that are printed from the printer. If I can have the numerical count on the same then it will be really helpful for keeping the record. The files are stored on the network and the file is shared among all the three systems. Is there any method by which I can record the entire number of times the file has been printed on each day? Please try to make it fast this time.

Re: Track printouts of the .doc files of a network

Well I do not think that there is any way by which you can have this thing. Although the thing that you have asked us here is for the very first time and I am sure that I will have to have a deeper look for the problem of yours. Well I am off for the solution and will post if I will be able to get something that can help you in any matter. Till then you can sit in your seat and wait for other members to come up with their solutions.

Can you please tell me what the operating system that you are having is? Is it same for all the three or is it that all the three are having different operating systems. Well I am not sure about the solution but I think that if all the Operating Systems that you have are identical then we can find something helpful so that it can help you with your count of the .doc files. Hope to receive your post soon.

Thanks for replying for the post. Well I am also not aware if the thing that I have asked for is at all possible but if you all can help me with getting the same then I think I will be really grateful to you all. Regarding the operating system, I do not have different operating system on the three machines all the machines are having the Windows XP as the only operating system. Well I think I have specified the thing that you were asking and I am sure that you all will come up with something really useful. It will be really nice if you all can come up with something handy like some sort of script. Thanks again for responding to my query.

I am of the opinion that you will have to have the third part tool that can help you achieve what you have asked for. If you want you can have the auditing turn on. For turning it on you can go by either way, if you want you can go by using the Group Policy or the Local Security Policy that is present in the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel. After this however I think that it will tell you who has printed the file and when was it printed and from what printer it was printed. I think that it will fail to give the document level details. Well try this and I think that it is somewhat nearer to what you actually wanted. I was able to just figure this out and will post if found something more nearly.