Thread: Fresh Install shows: behind the NAT

Fresh Install shows: behind the NAT

I have installed NAT router between my new computer and the broadband connection. I did all the step by step procedure to install it. At the end the system says the system did not hook up behind the NAT and the system may come under attack. Even it didn’t prompt me to install the Antivirus software. Did I miss any configuration step while the fresh installation. Will it allow me to connect if I don’t configure? Why didn’t it prompt me to install the Antivirus? This is the first time I am installing it. Is there anyone for help?
    Last edited by Lilija; 01-11-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Re: Fresh Install shows: behind the NAT

You are successfully behind the NAT only if you put the NAT router between the PC and the broadband connection. It will protect as long as you visit insecure sites and e-mails before the antivirus installation. The NAT firewall is different from antivirus. The router protects from the attempt of hack or other of kind of attack occurs during the internet browsing. The router protects only if you have connected the broadband to the right port of the NAT. otherwise it works as a switch between them. If you don’t know about the right configuration then set the router settings to factory default.

The IP address assigned to your modem by your broadband ISP will be allowed to routed over the internet. The direct connection between the computer and the modem will take the IP address as Globally-Public. The NAT stands for Network Address Translation which translate the public ip address to private ip address and also the traffic. If the router has been configures with DMZ port then the firewall won’t function. So check before connecting to the port that anything has set to DMZ or not.

There are some of the internet Service providers who uses NAT and will give their service to customers with the private IP address. As your problem concern you have to set the automatic IP configuration. That means set up both the ISP and PC to DHCP. If it didn’t seem to be working then go for the RTFM. ( Note : do not set anything to DMZ). The other thing is using the right port. The broadband connection goes to labeled WAN and the PC connection is goes to the labeled LAN

As I gone through your problem I concluded that you need to update the latest Microsoft security essentials if you are using windows. I heard that there are 2 kinds of NAT, static and dynamic. But I am not sure about this. If it is there then tell me what kind of NAT you are using? With the help ISP you need to configure the PC with a special DHCP Client ID. If you are facing problem with the “behind NAT” issue then manually do the DNS setting.

The NAT converts external IP’s to internal IP’s (WAN IP to LAN IP) and vice versa. The home networks uses DHCP from the router. If set the VPN port to your computer and the system gets other IP address, eventually the port forward will stop functioning. Reserve an IP address by yourself by the MAC address of your NIC card to avoid problems. That is, give a static IP address outside the range of DHCP but in the same subnet of the router.