Thread: Internet connection failure due to faulty RJ45 cable

Internet connection failure due to faulty RJ45 cable

I have got a LG desktop pc l7047. Since last few days I am not able connect my system to the internet. I do not have much knowledge about these machines and networks. So I called my friend at my house to identify the reason for the connection failure. He thinks the RJ45 cable is gone faulty. What is RJ 45 cable and how can I fix this problem?
    Last edited by Riley01; 31-10-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Re: Internet connection failure due to faulty RJ45 cable

RJ45 connector is a connector that resembles to a phone cable, but it is a bit thicker than the cable used in phone lines. the cables used in phone lines are called RJ11 pins. If we look closely at both of the connectors, you will observe that RJ45 can accommodate 8 wires in it , while the RJ11 connector has only 4 wires. This is why the RJ45 connectors are thicker than the RJ11 cables and are used in computer networking .

The RJ45 connectors are used in the DSL modems. The DSL modem use this RJ45 connectors to transmit and receive the signal over the network. This DSL modems are used for the high speed internet and the configuration of these modems is similar to the dial-up connections , but in DSL high speed connections one can use the internet services at the same time can use the telephone line as well for the voice calls. Another advantage of such connections is in the speed, the rate of transmission and reception of the signal is much faster than the dial-up connections. If your friend really thinks the RJ45 cabling is not working then change it.

I appreciate your friend's technical knowledge but there might be some other reasons too for this problem. I think you should try the simple things first such as the current internet settings in your computer. Even smaller things lead to such failures. Delete the temporary files and cookies of your browser. Check the status of your connection in the task bar i.e the number of packets received and sent , disconnect and reconnect the connection, reboot the computer and try again.

I agree with teenQ, but still if you are unable to browse anything, shut down your system,unplug the power cables from the spike guard and the wall outlet, unplug all the external cables from the back of the CPU, and also disconnect the cables from the modem. Open the CPU box and check the network card, I think your network card is not mounted properly. Remove the network, wipe it with a clean cloth if there is dust on it and insert it on it's slot. Do a power cycle on the modem, connect the cables back to their respective ports. Turn on the system and browse anything. If the system still does not connect replace the RJ 45 able with a new one.