Thread: Router restarts when connected to a particular computer

Router restarts when connected to a particular computer

At work we have a network cable coming into the building from a server that distributes the internet to various departments. So far this has been in a D-Link DI-624, which has served as an access point. We recently received the department's computer, which will be available at this network, so that the internet is readily available on the job. (Lenovo Ideapad U550 running Windows 7) When I tried to connect this to the D-link wireless network sent out, it was connected in 20 seconds, then restarted the link itself. After wondering about this for a while I glanced at d-link, which clearly restarted when it was disconnected. (All the lights flashed, and it seemed like a restart). Tried to connect the PC to the D-link with the cable but the same thing happened then and thinking that the router was dead. Found a U.S. Robotics router, I thought about trying to do the same. But this had to start the wireless, then I connected the router to PC via cable to check the settings, when I notice that it also restarts itself after a few seconds. Tried to start the d-link with just the cable from outside, without restarting the wireless on the PC. I then connected to the phone, and there was no restart. But at the moment the PC tried to connect to the network and it started giving the problem once again. Currently my PC is connected in a Netgear switch, which is stable, but cable is not a long term solution. Any idea what might cause this, both wired and wireless, with two different routers? It is only those I have available, so do not get tested more. Tomorrow, I thought to check whether drivers are updated but can not imagine that there are drivers when it happens the same on cable and wifi.

Re: Router restarts when connected to a particular computer

I am also having exactly the same problem on my network. It turns out that Ubuntu 10.04 (I do not know if the problem is solved by 10.10), and Mint versions of those distros is having the problem. The router disconnects every 25 minutes. It is described in the Ubuntu forum as well. There is no good solution until now. It's such defects and errors that make people opt out of Linux for the benefit of such Windows. If you have a serious business behind a Ubuntu machine, this is just not acceptable. There is no list of routers that are affected by the problem. What one can say with certainty is that 6 Windows machines operate in a network. So connecting one into an Ubuntu machine looses all network access and you must wait 1 to 2 minutes before they gets connected again automatically.

It varies with static and dynamic IP, also happens when the computer is the only one that is connected to the router. Tried today with Ubuntu Live CD 10.10. Then it functioned smoothly. Seems like a bug in windows. I then reformatted my PC via the factory settings. Chipset and NIC drivers are from Lenovo's site, and updated to the latest. But it still behaves as before. And it is only in windows. Is there anyone who have any last suggestions before I have to send email to Lenovo's support?

It may be that the windows contacts for many things at once so that it simply runs out of memory. Are you sure that the "router" part is turned off and that it is set up correctly as access point? (Screwed by the DHCP server in the router and plugged the cable into the LAN port instead of WAN/Internet port. Not to "forget" that you have to enter the ip on a dlink router) I have had varying results with D-Link's routers and are not particularly happy. If you buy a new router, I recommend Linksys WRT160NL with DD-WRT firmware. Oh by the way, try turning off everything called Turbo Boost range extender extreme.

Yes, the windows may be trying to contact too much at once, and thus crashes routers. The question is how to determine it, and how to solve it. I think DHCP is on, but it works great on all other machines that are trying to connect, but have also tried with DHCP turned off. The cable is connected to the LAN, it applies both to PCs and from the outside. (As it was already established before I started to work there) Do you think DD-WRT is something to bet on considering that this is the office, and people after me should also be able to understand it? Do you know there were some problems with Windows Vista and some routers that were running DD-WRT firmware? Won't it appear on my Windows 7 machine?