Thread: SME physical server and PC on Virtual Machine

SME physical server and PC on Virtual Machine

I just discovered and am interested in SME implementation of such a solution at home for personal use. Originally I wished to create a Joomla server and through my research I came across SME. The idea of installing Joomla on my SME server and access it from home and outside safely attracted me. After a lot of research it seems that the platform hosting the SME server is a dedicated platform, connected directly behind the router (free at home) and me (or) PC is behind the SME server via a LAN switch. Ideally I do not want to add extra router at home (ie: my computer + SME server + LAN switch) and I wanted your opinion on a setup based on a single computer, which would be installed on my PC and SME (and other machine if necessary) would be installed on a virtual machine that would run from the SME server via VirtualBox (for example). What do you think of such a configuration? Do you think this is possible? What are the risks/limitations of such a configuration?

Re: SME physical server and PC on Virtual Machine

I would simply say no. You want to host a website safely with minimal system, so your network configuration must have sme server on a dedicated PC (server & gateway) and x PCs behind. For several security reasons you should not virtualize a firewall. There is nothing good in terms of security. The main reason not to do this is that anything can happen without your intimation.

Thank you for the reply. I understand that bad: there is no question of the SME server and virtualization of all services. Only (or PCs) can be virtualized. In short, it's as if I did not have physically a server (SME Server) which in addition to all the services it offers (firewall, web server...) would propose a "service virtualization" (I put in quotes because this is not really a service but rather an app (VirtualBox) I run to start my Virtual Machine) and the same SME server is hosting one or more Virtual Machines with my PC. What do you think?

I think the idea is excellent but difficult to implement on an SME server. You will need a client to server x. This could be a good trail for a new distro but will be that hard for a gamer. By that I mean no one but one which shows an office or a GUI. On the monitor connected to the machine or installed on SME I read many post on the subject by the example and it applies only gnome. To show the desktop of your pc you must have it emulated the desktop environment but be a little thing that I missed? Is it possible to display a desktop using the X virtual machine? I see your idea in a good environment, as a virtual desktop with computers, you can change the machine as I change desktop. The virtual machine is just like in a virtual office with a most dedicated power having a real machine.

Actually, in my mind I see a SME server as a physical server on which I added a layer of virtualization (virtualization inside another OS) and add a server x (gnome or other). Interface from which I launch my Virtual Machines (my PC XP, Linux, Windows 7 ...). Overall in 90% of cases only one Virtual Machine is started. Most of the time I have two Virtual Machines restarted at the same time. I would almost never be on the SME server. Just to start my Virtual Machine for my daily use to make my Virtual Machines and for maintenance on SME or the virtualization engine (Virtualbox, VmWare PC...). To get an idea, here's an example of a typical day: I turn on my computer that starts my SME server. I can also keep it on permanently. Once my SME server started from the GUI (gnome,...), I run VirtualBox (which means it could launch automatically at startup). And from the interface of VirtualBox Virtual Machine I start hosting my PC for daily use. I work on that Virtual Machine as what I'm doing on my computer. Wishing my knowledge on Linux or Solaris or test Windows 7, I return to the VirtualBox interface (or I close the Virtual Machine from my PC or I switch the Virtual Machine from my PC Interface Virtualbox and I run the Virtual Machine that I wish.