Thread: Digest authentication in Windows phone 7

Digest authentication in Windows phone 7

I am using the windows phone 7 from a very long time, which is very good in order to its performance. I am using this one for the network access with the http authentication with the secured password and the user ID. I built the http authentication with the NetworkCredential, for run in the EndGetResponse line in the call back function. I had the header information such as [WWW-Authenticate] from (WebException)e.Response. I like to share sample of the authentication problem and that is looks like

(WWW-Authenticate = "Digest realm=\"*****\", nonce=\"NS8yNC8yMDEwIDQ6NTE6NTcgQU0\", opaque=\"0000000000000000\", stale=false, algorithm=MD5, qop=\"auth\", domain=\"\"")

I tried to solve it by the digest header string, but the problem is I have no such idea to execute the digest script for the authentication of the network connection in the windows7. Any idea about the Digest Authentication? How to make the Digest Authentication in the Windows phone 7?

Re: Digest authentication in Windows phone 7

The Digest Authentication contains the configuration setting of the network in the internet information service, in short it is known as IIS service. This is mainly used for the Silverlight and the windows 7 compatible windows mobile to access the network connectivity. You can use this one for the enable and the disable the digest authentication after the configuration, where you can also specify the Digest authentication realm. The Digest authentication is does not done by the same basic setting with the windows for the network access, it consist some advanced technology or the configuration for the set up the network connectivity. I think the major disadvantage with the digest authentication is that the non-encrypted over the network communication.
    No TechArena No Experts, Know TA know Experts!

The Digest Authentication with the windows will have some of the limitation with the access of the network. The authentication will write on the plaintext in the application. The basic authentication is used the schema of the plaintext, where as the Digest authentication is for the hashed for the communication between the users over the network connection channel, so the user name and the password is so much secure in the digest authentication. The digest authentication is mainly used for secure user name and the password of the user which s using the network connection. it will support the http connection.

The VB script I am giving you might be help you to enable the Digest authentication. The digest authentication will work for both the computer and the windows phone 7. I used the VB .NET script for the computer and one of my friend used it for his windows mobile, which supports the SIlverlight application. I hope this will also help you with your windows phone 7.
    Code:
    Imports System
    Imports System.Text
    Imports Microsoft.Web.Administration

Module Sample
       Sub Main()
          Dim serverManager As ServerManager = New ServerManager
          Dim config As Configuration = serverManager.GetApplicationHostConfiguration

Dim digestAuthenticationSection As ConfigurationSection = config.GetSection("system.webServer/security/authentication/digestAuthentication", "Contoso")
          digestAuthenticationSection("enabled") = True

serverManager.CommitChanges()
       End Sub
    End Module

1. Open IIS Manager in the windows phone
    2. Navigate to the level where you want to manage it.
    3. see Open IIS Manager (IIS 7), For getting the information about the IIS Manager, In
    4. Go to Authentication, under the Features View.
    5. select Digest Authentication, On the Authentication window.
    6. Enable the Digest authentication with the desire settings.
    7. In the Edit Digest Authentication Settings dialog box, in the Realm text box, type the realm for the IIS service, use to authenticate to a client to access the network with the Digest authentication.
    8. Click OK and close the Edit Digest Authentication Settings dialog box.

Try with solution which is in the step by step process for the Digest Authentication

idea Re: Digest authentication in Windows phone 7

If you'd like to use a library I wrote that supports Digest Authentication with MD5 encryption to your API from Windows Phone 7 you can use this library I've got published up on github:

I packaged up a download as version 1.0.

Hope it helps ,

Dean Poulin
    Last edited by Kunal; 25-01-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: External Linking is not allowed