Thread: Cannot Ping IP address of Dell Dimension 8400

Cannot Ping IP address of Dell Dimension 8400

I have a Dell Dimension system 8400, 320 GB of internal hard disk , 2 GB of RAM, I use two operating systems Windows xp home edition and Windows7. I also have NIC card installed on my PCI slot. However since some days I am facing a few issues accessing my internet. I think I am getting an invalid IP address . I wanted to ask how to ping the default gateways and IP address ?

Re: Cannot Ping IP address of Dell Dimension 8400

You said you have a Dell Dimension 8400 system and have a NIC network card installed in your mother board. But before pinging the IP address I will suggest you to to try few simple and basic step then jump for these pinging gateways and IP address. Always reboot the system after performing each troubleshooting and then then try to browse any web page. Check the physical connections of the networking devices. Check the link lights of the router. Do a power cycle i.e remove all the connection from the router, press the power button of the router and hold it for at least ten seconds to flea the residual power. Connect the cables back to their respective ports and turn on the system. If still it does not help ping the gateways.
    Last edited by Milton.J; 29-10-2010 at 03:50 AM.

The suggestions mentioned by our friend Militon J. were perfect but I thing we can add on a few more things before we disconnect the physical devices and do the power cycle on the router. I thing you should check the connectivity in other than the normal mode of windows. As you want to check the internet connection then check it in Safe mode with Networking . I am suggesting you to do this because your network failure may also be because of the virus and spyware attacks. Safe mode with Networking loads with minimum drivers i.e only the basic drivers . To open the Safe mode with networking , restart the system when the Dell logo appears, tap the F8 key 4-5 times, you will see the advanced boot option , choose Safe mode with Networking.
    Last edited by Spyrus; 29-10-2010 at 04:13 AM.

Before pinging the IP address you are required to fetch IP address and default gateways. To fetch the IP address, go to start, then to go run and in it type command cmd and hit Enter. You will see a command prompt type the command ipconfig in the command prompt. You will be able to see the Ip address and the default gateways and few technical information. Read and note the Ip address .Then ping the ip address you fetched , check the status, number of packets received and sent, the number should be equal. If there is no packets received and sent, then there is some issue with the router.

I think before pinging the IP address better check the IP address you fetch are valid, Ip address that resembles 169.x.x.x is a bad IP address. If the router is unable to search or connect any server then it gives back or responds it's own IP address. 0.0.0.0 is also a an invalid IP address. It represents an IP address of default network.