Thread: Microsoft Security Essentials, what port

Microsoft Security Essentials, what port

All ports in my system are blocked. I had did that with an third party security application. I had done this before but now I had removed the application and still my ports are blocked. That is a quiet good news for me as my system is much safer from external threats. Now I had installed Microsoft Security Essentials which is also blocked for updates. When I run the update it gave me a error message and shuts down. I am not sure what the message says but that is definitely related to some port thing. I need some help to figure out how this thing entirely work. What is the role of firewall in this and which port should keep open for Microsoft Security Essential. Does this port will only be used by it or there is a risk of keeping a port open. What is the best thing I do here to ensure the maximum security of my system. I already have a antivirus tool but I just want to add this one also for malware thing. I think my antivirus is not scanning the system properly as I found some suspicious folders.

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials, what port

Microsoft Security Essential needs an port open so that it can receive Windows Automatic Updates. If you had manually blocked everything then it is not possible to update this tool. There is some tips which can he helpful for you. Open Control panel and then click on firewall. If you cannot find the same then you can simply type in the search box at the left cornet at top. Click on it and the go to exception tab. There inside the box you will get list of application which are installed in your system. Tick on Windows Updates and reboot your system. If you can see Microsoft Security Essentials then also tick on that and check it. After a proper reboot things will started working fine. Updation is necessary for all types of security software to fight with new threats and virus. It is also possible to check in Windows which port is used by which application. For that right click on the Task Bar and choose Task Manager. I that go to view and click on Select Columns. In the appearing windows click on PID. A new column will be listed on the Process tab which will show you the PID of process. You can locate the PID in cmd and find the open ports. You can then block them by your firewall and ensure the security of your system. If still you are not confident with your security solution then I will recommend you to change to a new one. Like Norton Internet Security. It is a powerful tool for latest virus threats and other support.

It is possible to generate a text file of of open ports in your system. You can do that by using the netstat command. Run cmd and then type the below command. The command is netstat -an |find /i "listening" > c:ports.txt. The last c:ports.txt is the file generated in the C drive of Windows. This file has the list of all ports that are opened and you can block if you do not want. I am not sure but in Windows some ports are set to open by default. Like one for your internet protocol, one for telnet, etc. Some of them are not really of use and you can simply block them via your firewall. Do not forget to check the exception list of Windows Firewall. Some file manually configure them in the firewall. The UAC of Windows is also recommend not to turn of. If a user logs in your system the UAC blocks the installation of software and opening of any service.

The most easy command for that is netstat -a. Just by pressing netstat /? will give you other important commands that will help you to find out more on the ports working in your system. A other easy way is that using a ready made software. There are some tools called as port scanners. They scan your system and checks for the ports open in your system. The tools also generates a report that displays the access of the port with the service associated with it. One of the best tool for that is Comodo. Comodo Antivirus Security offers you a active feature of displaying the current working applications in your field. It also tells you what what process is carried out by the service with the location. So if you found any unwanted file in your system then you can block it for permanently. Comodo each and every time scans your system and also indicates that what services is running when you run a application.

You can add a software to the exception list of the firewall. For that I will recommend you to first add the Microsoft Security Essential in that. You can then also add the port which you want to keep open. It is correct that any open port in your system is not safe. Trojan and worms directly access those ports to download and upload information without the users consent. First do not turn off your firewall. Secondly you must have a good security application. Each of today antivirus program comes with a powerful firewall solution. You can use ZoneAlarm for that. It is a bit resource eating application but work well enough. You can change the port if you want after a prescribe period of time. This will allow better security of the system.

A port is a tcp/ip port which is prescribe configured to accept packets of data. The port simply ignore those packets if the same is closed. In security point of view it is a part of internal communication of system with internet. So you can say it s a type of channel that is used by different software's to access internet and download data. It is important to understand what ports are open in your system and what are closed. And for that it is best recommended to use a application which can scan and give you information for the current open ports. They are called as listening ports. It is also possible to filter the ports of the system via firewall to authenticate the data accepted in your system. Firewall has the ability to filter the content of the packets. So that is way it is said to keep it on. It does not allows unwanted connection either from the LAN or from internet making your system much more secure. This thing is very effective in case of malicious applications. Keep scanning your system after a regular interval of time.