Thread: Please walk me through adding a network printer in Snow Leopard

Please walk me through adding a network printer in Snow Leopard

Friends, I have 2 printers and I want to use that with my 13" MBP which is running Snow Leopard. The problem is that I am not able to find the way to do that. I have searched on internet for this solution but not found anything to do that. There is one which is actually attached to my network computer and others are attached to a machine which is running Windows XP in it and it is networked. I am able to see the all the shared drives or network drive in my Windows machine from my mac. I don’t know that why the printer does is not showing up. Please help me with your suggestion and ideas. Any help will be appreciative. Thank you.

Re: Please walk me through adding a network printer in Snow Leopard

OK, here is the solution for you. You can try any of this solution according to the printer that you have.
    • If you have the network printer then you have to go to System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> + -> IP. You will see the field for IP address there and you have to add the IP address of yours in that field.
    • If you have the Windows Printer then you should go to the System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> + -> Windows and there you have to select the Windows machine and from there select the printer that you want to use.

I would like to inform you that if any printer is attached to the Windows computer then it is not specifically designed for the network printer and then the chances that the Mac driver is intended for straight USB connections only. You should download and install the foomatic and gplgs from HP site instead of installing the third party drivers like Gutenprint or hpijs. This will be the best option for you and you should do this if you want the issue to get fix. I hope that installing the driver will fix the issue for you.

I followed the instruction by you for the computer which has its own IP. After that I got the message that it is added and the IP address was the name for it. After that again I tried to print the page and got the message like:

"network busy, retrying in 5 seconds..."

"network busy, retrying in 10 seconds..."

"network busy, retrying in 15 seconds..."

Please tell me what should I do to fix this issue.

You should go to the advance section of the add printers page and from there you have to choose the internet printing protocol and put the IP address over there and that will look like "ipp://xxx.xxx.x.x". Where xxx.. means the IP address of the computer on network. Then you have to close the "CanonMX700" (in my case) for the driver. After that click on add button. This may fix the problem in your case as it solves this for me.

There may be problem with your printer driver and that is creating the problem for you. It may be outdated or corrupted. You should uninstall the printer driver and install that again. Reboot the system and try to print some pages again and see whether it works fine or not. If that works then it is great and if then also it is not working then you can download the latest driver from internet and install that to your system. I have installed the newest HP printer driver for LaserJet 4600 (v3010.107) and it is showing no such error therefore I think that you should also do that and I am sure that it will fix the issue for you.