Thread: MAC address of networked iMac shows in Finder sidebar

MAC address of networked iMac shows in Finder sidebar

I have been using my Apple computer which is 21.5-inch iMac with 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor and comes with the memory of 8 GB i.e. RAM and supports lots of other components as graphic cards etc. But recently I am getting problem with my network my computer is connected through Ethernet to a Netgear router that broadcasts my network. The iMac show up in the sidebar on my MacBook in the Finder as it should be but is also showing some address and when I try to find out this it was my MAC address of my iMac, so I want to know why it is appearing and I am not able to click any of the options appearing on finder bar. So if anyone having details on this please let me know the reason for such thing happening and the solution for the same.

Re: MAC address of networked iMac shows in Finder sidebar

I suggest you to just try to download the MainMenu or OnyX those are maintenance and optimization tool and go for clearing the caches of your system. The thing which is appearing might be just caching the MAC address of your system as the hostname for some kind of reason and it can be cleared by you. As far as you are trying to hide your machine MAC addresses there is nothing you need to worry about your MAC address which you are hiding. The thing you should know that your MAC address is only is seen locally. So there is no such issue with the MAC address. I think this might help you to resolve your doubt about what it is which is showing in your iMac sidebar finder.

I think this problem of your can be related to account which you are using in your iMac which is connected to your network to MacBook through Ethernet. You may try to use different account which may resolve your problem this will surely narrow it down to whether it was a system-wide malfunction or just related to something with your account which you were using before. So you can try this as the solution for your netwok problem which you have mentioned.

MAC address is Media Access Control address which is a unique identification that is allocated to network interfaces using which communications can be done on the physical network which used. Logically speaking MAC addresses are used in the Media Access Control protocol which there in the sub-layer of the OSI reference model. MAC address is allocated to individual machine so there is no such thing that you need to hide from other person. So its is ok that finder is showing you the MAC address your machine.

I am also facing same problem and i don't know if it is actual a problem or not but i want to know why such thing is happening with my iMAC which is connected in the network with MacBook through Ethernet.MAC is media access control address which is used for your system media access control. You can add an account in both your MacBook and the iMac which might help you to fix your problem with the sidebar.