Thread: Windows 7 firewall blocking MSE updates

Windows 7 firewall blocking MSE updates

I have set a rule to allow "svchost.exe" using service "windows update" with the help of the windows firewall set to block outbound connections. The definition updates from my windows vista machine can be downloaded one this is set. But the problem is that with the same firewall security setting and configuration on my Windows 7 machine the updates for Security Essentials are getting blocked. The most hard firewall rule that I found in windows 7 is Allow "svchost.exe" with service "Task Scheduler". Please suggest me any other firewall rule that can be applied and if you know that why does the rule that is working fine for the Vista is not working on Windows 7? Please post your suggestions and ideas for this.

Re: Windows 7 firewall blocking MSE updates

It is correct that windows firewall is put to block all outbound traffic except there is an allow rule set. On both the machines, All the allow rules are same. There is one rule that allows windows update and the MSE updates on one other machine which is running the Windows 7 on it, I found that the Windows update works but the MSE update fails and gives the error code 0x80240022. If I set the rule to allow "svchost.exe" with service "Task Scheduler" then I found that the MSE will get update. I hope this will help you.

Re: Windows 7 firewall blocking MSE updates

The Vista solution worked for me. I am using the Windows 7 64bit home premium and by default I have also blocked all the incoming and outgoing. I created a rule -> outbound -> user defined -> choose the service "wuauserv" and In System 32 folder it is joint with the "svhost.exe" application. You will find that there is an option called predefined rules! And I think that Microsoft should add a new rule there for updating.