Thread: How to clean uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials from Windows XP

How to clean uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials from Windows XP

I am running Windows XP. I have recently installed Microsoft Security Essentials on this computer. I am not happy with its features and functionality and so would like to uninstall it. I will be reinstalling my Norton antivirus. So I want to know how to clean uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials from my Windows XP computer? I am asking it because I have tried to uninstall it but it doesn't get removed completely. I can still see its folder appearing in Programs folder.

Re: How to clean uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials from Windows XP

Here is how you can uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials from your computer. Download the MSE installer file and save the file on your desktop. Now press the Windows + R key at the same time. This will open the RUN dialog box. Now drag the MSE installer file into the RUN dialog box. It should appear like this C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe. Put a SPACE at the end of the line, followed by a "/U" (C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe /U). Now click on OK button. Reboot your system after the uninstall is completed.

First check if you meet the Microsoft Security Essentials system requirements. For you can check Microsoft website and see what is stated in the minimum system requirements over there. This may be the reason why you are not getting appropriate MSE features and functionality. The below is the list which Microsoft recommends for a computer to meet in order to use MSE fruitfully.
    • For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 256 MB RAM or higher.
    • For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
    • VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
    • 140 MB of available hard disk space.
    • An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
    • Internet Browser:
      • Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
      • Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.
    • Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7.

You may notice bad performance or system instability because of many reasons but the main reason if it is related to MSE is due to an existing Internet security programs. So to solve this problem, you have to remove any existing Internet security programs. In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then press ENTER. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, click Start, and in the Start Search box, type appwiz.cpl, and then press ENTER. In the list of installed programs, uninstall any third-party Internet security programs. Reboot your computer, and then try to install Microsoft Security Essentials again.

If you want you can even use some registry cleaner to remove any of the program and all of its traces from your computer. Download CCleaner and install it on your computer. By default, CCleaner analyzes and deletes all the junk it can find. However if you want you can do it manually by opening CCleaner. Click on the Cleaner tab and you will have a lot of checkboxes. Run CCleaner and it will start deleting files. It will give you a list of the files deleted, you really don't need to go through it as it will be several pages long.