Thread: updating problem in MSE

updating problem in MSE

Yesterday, I noticed that my Microsoft Security Essentials was going orange in my computer and everyone knows the reason behind that is it needed to update the database of it. In the next morning when I tried to update it and ran the update then after few seconds I get the error that was “0x8004ff07” and the update process aborted automatically. So I closed the MSE and again tried to install the application but I am getting the same error every time. I( tried to update after restarting the windows but that was also not helpful. I tried all the things that I knew but am not able to solve the problem. Please suggest the how can I get out of this problem and how can I update it without any problem. Any help from anybody will be appreciative. Please reply as early as possible before it turns to red.

Re: updating problem in MSE

I was also facing this problem a few months back and somehow I was able to resolve that. Here are the steps that I followed to solve the issue:
    1. First of all I uninstalled the MSE.
    2. After that I rebooted my computer.
    3. Again install the MSE.
    4. Cancel the update when it starts updating and scan.
    5. Again restart your computer.
    6. Launch MSE and trigger upgrade via Help, Upgrade.
    7. Download the update and install that and it will be completed successfully.

You can try these steps to resolve the issue for you. The below given solution insteps may help you also because it has already solved many problems similar to yours.
    1. To remove the Security Essentials just Run Windows Install Cleanup.
    2. From services.msc, just disable the MSSE Service.
    3. Now delete the MSSE entry from Add/remove programs
    4. Delete C:\Program Files folder for MSSE

Once you are done with these steps then you have to install the full version again. This cannot be the upgrade. If you have the old installer then you can also use that if you want. Wait till you get MSSE update before manually updating to 1.0.1500 from Windows Update.

You can try the following solution to get out of this issue. I knew this because It worked for one of my friend who was also getting somewhat similar problem. I don’t remember the exact code that he was getting during upgrading the MSE but somehow he managed to solve this issue. You can also try the solution given below because the problem is similar and I hope this will also help you in your case.

So the solution that worked for his is that you have to go to the registry editor. To open registry editor press start > Run > Regedit and there you have to find the registry key in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Security Essentials and delete the key. After that I downloaded the MSE again from the Microsoft website and installed that again to the system. Now this is working very fine and I am not facing any problem with that. You can also do this and I am sure that it will work for you also.

I think that the current Microsoft Security Essentials that is installed on your computer may have corrupted and that is why it is not allowing you to update the database for your Microsoft Security Essentials. I think that you have to reinstall the Microsoft Security Essentials again and see whether it help you or not. If you have tried other things and still have problem with it then you can download Microsoft Security Essentials from official MSE download page and install that on your computer. If even after that you are facing the similar problem and the problem is not resolved then you can open the support case to find the solution for this.
    Last edited by addie; 19-10-2010 at 10:39 AM.

In many of such cases if you want to reinstall the MSE then you have to first uninstall the existing Microsoft Security Essentials and may of the times if you want to do that from Control panel then it will not work [properly. In such cases you have to do the following to uninstall that:
    1. First of all download the MSE installer for your operating system from here.
    2. Save it on your desktop so that it will be easy for you to find that.
    3. Now press Window key + R to open the Run dialog box.
    4. Make sure that you have deleted any entry inside the Run dialog box.
    5. Drag the MSE installer into the RUN dialog box.
    6. And hit the OK button or press the enter key.