Thread: Microsoft Security Essentials does not auto-start on boot

Microsoft Security Essentials does not auto-start on boot

Hi all, I have recently owned my new computer and I want to use Microsoft Security Essentials. But the problem is that every time when I turn my computer on then I have to start the Microsoft Security Essentials manually. What is the problem with it? I have tried some solution for this but that was useless and was not able to solve the issue. Therefore I am leaving this problem here in hope that I will get the answer here. Please post your suggestion here for me if any of you have faced the same problem or you have the solution for it.

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials does not auto-start on boot

For this problem, first of all you have to check the services that are required to set the Microsoft Security Essentials to automatic. Here are the steps that you can follow to fix this issue.
    1. First of all press the PressWindows Key + R on your keyboard.
    2. In the textbox type services.msc.
    3. Press enter button.
    4. You have to make sure that the services given below are set to automatic.

• Windows Installer Service
    • Cryptographic Services
    • Background Intelligent Transfer Service

If you want to change the Startup Type then you can do the following.
    1. First step is to right click on service in question.
    2. Select the Properties.
    3. Select Automatic for startup type.
    4. Click on OK.

If you are using the Windows 7 then you should go through the following steps to solve the issue and here are the steps that you have to follow:
    1. Close all the running programs.
    2. Click on start and open control panel.
    3. Click on Uninstall a Program under the Programs category.
    4. You will see the list of installed programs then click on Microsoft Security Essentials and select the Uninstall.
    5. Go through the instructions that it provide to uninstall the Microsoft Security Essentials.
    6. Once you are completed with the uninstall then you have to reboot your computer.
    7. After all this you should reinstall that and it will solve the issue.

Spyrus is correct that you have to reinstall the Microsoft Security Essentials to fix this problem and to install that again first thing that you have to do is just uninstall the existing Microsoft Security Essentials that is in your system. There are different ways to uninstall it in different operating system. Here are the steps for Windows XP.
    1. First of all close all the programs running in your system.
    2. Click start and open the control panel.
    3. Select add or remove option.
    4. In the list of installed program, select Microsoft Security Essentials and press the remove button which is at right side.
    5. Follow the simple instruction for that it provide.
    6. Again reinstall it after a normal reboot.

This issue may also caused because there may be some corrupted files in your user profile or the user profile itself may be corrupted. You can fix this problem with some simple steps. I am using Windows 7 as operating system in my computer and I know the steps for this. You have to create new user account and then you can copy the files from the existing profile to new profile. You need to have at least three user accounts to do that. Just click on the link below and you will see some simple steps to do that. There are total 11 steps that you can follow very easily. This will definitely work, I can say this because I have tried this before.

Ok, you can try the above steps that are suggested and I hope that it will work for you and solve the problem for you. But in case that these steps are failed to solve the issue then you can simply contact your customer support provider and they will assist you for the issue. This will be the best and the safest way for you to resolve this. If you want any additional information about the customer support option then you should also get it from your computer. Just click on the start button and select the Help and Support option. Now at the bottom of the help window you will see the More support options link. Open that link and you will get the information.

If you are getting any error while using Microsoft Security Essentials then you may have problem with your user account as suggested above. You can try to repair that. All you have to do is to create new user account and copy the files from old account to newly created account.
    1. Log on as a user other than the new user you just created or the user that you want to copy files from.
    2. Open Documents by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Documents.
    3. Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
    4. Click the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
    5. Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.
    6. Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
      • Ntuser.dat
      • Ntuser.dat.log
      • Ntuser.ini
    7. Click the Edit menu, and then click Copy.
    8. Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed, and New_Username is the name of the new user profile you created.
    9. Click the Edit menu, and then click Paste.
    10. Log off, and then log back on as the new user.

I installed MSE on my 3 household computers this week and one of them repeatedly failed to start MSE automatically after a reboot.

Just thought I'd note that Milton.J's solution worked for me. I changed Windows Installer Service from manual to automatic; the other two services mentioned were already set to automatic.