Thread: Booting from LAN / Network boot

Booting from LAN / Network boot

I have bought a new laptop on which i am running Windows XP HOME. After only a few months, This laptop is not booting up. It shows me registry errors and then try some more attempts to boot up and gets failed. Even Safe mode is not working here. I just want to take the backup of my hard drive then i am gonna reinstall the whole operating system on it. I have heard that it is possible to boot the system from the LAN or USB as well. Can you guys suggest me that how can i do it?

Re: Booting from LAN / Network boot

If you desktop or notebook computer newest boats have one, you are looking around in the BIOS settings, perhaps even on the entry " LAN boot options under stumbled. However, if you enable this setting, very little is happening. Although a few additional lines appear during the boot process, but that's about it already. Obviously still missing one or two things before a computer can successfully boot from the network card. First a response to the question of why the boat can be used via LAN adapter at all. An obvious area of application environments where individual users are to obtain a precisely pre-defined work environment. The workstations will be transformed into quasi terminals, can account for local drives.

The original meaning of boot from LAN is the use of diskless clients. Then the operating system is not the hard disk of the local computer but on a network server to boot from. On the server, the operating system of an "installed" in the form before. The applications are loaded from the server. Diskless computers are my knowledge, used for two reasons.
    1. Safety reasons: it will remain the computer of any safety data back on.
    2. Service charges: It is an OS for all computers. This needs to be maintained only once. The entire update of the WAS is eliminated.

A client of "from lan" boots may have of the things that go directly assigned during boot process no static IP. The moment when booting the client is still not even in a mode where you could assign a static IP. After the BIOS should the PXE bootrom of the network card or a boot disk and try to register via broadcast to get an IP from DHCP. The DHCP can also be nice if he is equal to the address of the BootP server betrayed by which the client can get his boot file to start. Boot from LAN is not so trivial. Search for best first bissel documented through PXE and BootP.

It is not possible as you think. The XPE is used in companies who want to install remote devices. And this requires that the network is ready. Just to summarize what is rather complicated, it enables the network boot in BIOS and it reboots, the PC will then look for a server installation. Then it will access a menu and download a package prepared in advance, corresponding to his PC. The plant is then fully automated. In short, it really is not usable in your case!!

The PXE can boot a computer from the network. This will start a system on a machine that has neither the hard drive or CD / DVD or USB port. This technique makes it possible to boot SystemRescueCd from the network, which facilitates the troubleshooting of computers in a computer equipment from the time or PXE boot server is installed. It is also very useful for machine that do not have the CD / DVD or to keep on remote machines that have can not insert a boot disk. SystemRescueCd is able to boot into PXE network since version 0.4.0-beta1 and it works on x86 (PCs).
    SystemRescueCd implements the network boot using the HTTP protocol rather than NFS to download the system because it is easier to operate (one port is required, configure NFS is a complex including a firewall), and uses HTTP protocol TCP ensures the integrity of transmitted data.