Thread: where does microsoft security essentials keep a log of its activites

where does microsoft security essentials keep a log of its activites

Friends, I am using Microsoft security essentials and it is working very fine, I can feel my computer safe from the virus attack and other malware. One thing that I don’t know about this is that where does it maintain a log of its activities? Is there any way to know what it is up to as well looking at the notification icon? Please tell me that where does microsoft security essentials maintain a log of its activities. Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Re: where does microsoft security essentials keep a log of its activites

If you want to see the logs of the activities Microsoft security essentials then you can use the Event Viewer to see that. Simply go to Start menu and select the Run over there. In the textbox under it, you have to type the eventvwr.msc and press Enter button. Then under System you have to right click and select the view > filter (by Event Source: Microsoft Antimalware).

This will open the log that will contain the complete history of each and every activities, actions and notification. It is in a very easy format to read. I hope this will help you get the log.

There is no need to view the log of activities and action taken by the microsoft security essentials. This has nothing to do with your scanning process. By the way if you want to know that where does it stores the log files then I would like to tell you that it keeps the log files to your local settings folder but once again I am telling that there is no need to see that. It just keeps the list of updates times and other activities.

It is right that the Microsoft security essentials keep the log file of its activities. This is having a default folder /to store this information. The path for this folder is different in different operating system. The location for this folder in Windows Vista and Windows 7 are the same but it is different for the Windows XP. I am giving the location for three of them.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7:
    c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware

For Windows XP:
    c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware.

I this will clear your doubt.