Thread: Does Microsoft Security Essentials keep scanning when Windows 7 goes into Sleep mode?

Does Microsoft Security Essentials keep scanning when Windows 7 goes into Sleep mode?

I am using Microsoft security essential to protect my system from malicious program. But when I try to perform full scan with Microsoft security essential windows 7 keeps going into sleep mode. I do not know whether the Microsoft security essential still scanning in sleep mode? If you have any suggestion let em know.Thank you in advance.

Re: Does Microsoft Security Essentials keep scanning when Windows 7 goes into Sleep mode?

As per my knowledge if your system is in sleep mode or in Hibernate state then no program can run including Microsoft security essential. If you computer go to sleep mode when doing full scan you can do one thing you can disable the sleep mode from the power management control panel and perform the full scan using Microsoft security essential and when scan completes you can again enable sleep mode.

Re: Does Microsoft Security Essentials keep scanning when Windows 7 goes into Sleep mode?

You need to wait and see what the Microsoft security essentials does with this issue. They might tell you to contact to windows 7 customer care or they can provide solution for you. If you did not get any solution within twenty-four hours please let me know so that I can get rid of this issue.Your effort will be appreciated Thank you in advance.

Exactly going to sleep mode when trying to scan and as you suggest to wait for Microsoft security essential they may provide any solution but I don't think so. The problem is that when scanning first the screen go black and then hard drive stops working. I left the system for more then 2 hours and when I came back the process bar has not moved. Is this is bug in windows 7 or there is something I am missing in the setting? My machine is in MSE mode running a scan.But when the scan is underway how the system goes in sleep mode?

I have solution to your issue. I remember there is another thread where someone is having the same problem about sleeping when doing scan.Sleeps happen because there is no input to system- Keyboard or mouse. Disc activity and execution of program are not counted. You can perform this two things to resolve this problem and they are:
    1] You can change the sleep setting when starting the scan
    2]You can create a task in the schedule task and perform the full scan using command line setting.The syntax for quick scan is given below:
    For Quick scan type in command prompt:
    MpCmdRun.exe -Scan -ScanType 1
    And For full scan type in command prompt:
    MpCmdRun.exe -Scan -ScanType 2
    Hope this will be helpful to get rid of your issue.

Probably this procedure solves the problem you just need to go to gpedit.msc and select Computer Configuration then select Administrative Templates and click on System and select Power Management .From the settings select Sleep Settings and Turn on Applications to Prevent Sleep Transitions. Perform it with out any error and get your issue resolved. I have tried this procedure and it solve my problem.I am using windows XP and now i can scan using Microsoft security essential and now computer does not went to sleep mode.

Thomas321 I have tried and follow the exact same procedure but it does not seem to work for me. At this time Microsoft security essential is scanning my system and do not know whether it has finished scanning or now it is in sleep mode as I am at work.So I tell the Microsoft security essential to be make more smarter in sleep mode.Prior to this I have problem with Vista where my system was not going in sleep mode and withg windows Xp it is going into sleep mode when even I don't need it.