Thread: How can I connect to console session using remote desktop

How can I connect to console session using remote desktop

How can I connect remote desktop in Windows via console session. I am trying to connect to an user pc on the lan network. I was connecting the same via remote desktop gui mode. I have Windows Server 2003 and it \works fine with the gui thing. I want to create a new session which I want to connect via console mode. I had started with a blank desktop and some application working in the background. I need proper steps to connect the system via command prompt. This might help me to work more privately in the office. What are the recommended settings needed for this. I had already enabled all the functions for the lan computers and set the firewall exception also.

Re: How can I connect to console session using remote desktop

Remote Assistance is used to provide assistance on a remote machine while the remote desktop is rather used to access his office working another job for someone who wants to work from home. It is possible to connect to remote desktop via console. For that you will need to run stsc /v:servername /console. Buy this command you will start the Remote Desktop Client and then the same is possible to connect via console session. Here you will also need to edit the properties of the service. The same is located on the desktop. For that just right click on the remote desktop connection and then choose properties. Then go change the settings from %SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe to %SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe – console.

Everyone is aware that Remote Desktop is equivalent to Terminal Services which run in the Administration mode of Windows 2000 Server. The feature is installed by default but on the same hand the properties of this service is set to disable. To activate this you will need to open the System Properties. You can find this by right clicking on My computer and then click on the Remote operation tab. Once you reach there you will have to click on Allow users to connect to remotely to this computer. This are the default settings which are needed to be configured on all the system you want to access. You can also choose the user which you want to access the system via remote. That is also a secure way of running a remote desktop session on your network. You can then add users via the Select remote users. This can be done by the Admin login account as the admin of the system has sufficient rights to connect remotely without being part of the group Remote Desktop User. Then you have to pass the a command on the console. The command for that is mstsc -v:servername /F -console. Run this and here the -v stands for the server and /F means to display the same in full screen mode. Run those command and then just check on your system for the changes. If you still found any issue then adjust the security policy of your system. The mstsc in the command is the executable file command for the Remote Desktop Connection.

It is quiet not necessary to add a user via Select remote user. Just be the admin of the system as this account has sufficient rights to connect remotely without being part of any group. The other way to connect via Terminal Server for the remote desktop connection s called as the console mode. There are some prescribed commands which you need to follow while running the connection. If a third person was in front of the server while you are connected to remote console mode, it would move the mouse alone and windows open and close by themselves. You will also need to permit the connection before running the same via console mode. For that run the gpedit.msc from the start > run box. Then in that go on the left side and go under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Terminal Services. In the terminal services windows you have to double click on the right panel for setting up the rule for the current session. Go to settings tab and click on enable. Then click on the option box and provide full control for the user account for which you want to configure console remote desktop. Set the user permission and then give ok. Once done you have configured the admin account. you can then use the console command mstsc -v:servername /F -console to run the remote desktop connection. Do not forget to mention the system name in the command. Then only you might be able to login to the remote session.

To log in the console mode you got two options here. The first one is via RDP client in GUI mode which you are using right now. Here you just need to add the console next to the name or IP address of the server you want to access. Just by clicking connect you are on the desktop of a system. The other is via command line utility mstsc.exe. In this you need to add the console after typing the command. When you pass the command in cmd then you can see the remote desktop box on your screen. There just type the ip address of the server or system you want to connect and click on connect. Ensure that your firewall does not deny access to the remote desktop session. This is just the same way of running Remote Desktop shortcut via command line. The console mode allows only a single session. So if you are trying to connect to multiple session then the same is not possible and for that you might need to use any third party software. Any connection in the established mode will disconnect the console session. So there are quiet a limitation for this type of console connection. There is not a great difference in comparison to the other desktop connection way. This saves your timing for clicking on start and then entering in accessories for connection the remote desktop. But the same is really very useful when you encounter difficulties on a computer station which is not working properly or the desktop fails to loads. The cmd works always even when you trouble shoot windows.

With the tool Remote Assistance in Windows XP it is now possible to very efficiently with a direct takeover of the person who helps and who can view your screen in real time, contact you in writing or same way and sending voice files.Console mode of running the remote desktop connection is nothing but running the the same via a simple executable command. This just pop up the windows of remote desktop directly on the desktop. But the command mstsc -v:servername /F -console can help you to directly connect to the the computer without getting the box on your screen. When you type this command then the remote desktop session starts working and the login here is authenticated. Once this job is done then you get connected to the console session and this work quiet well on Windows Server 2003-based server. Other than this there are some ready to use software's which help you to even connection your system via internet. So that makes it much more flexible to use. This solution is even more interesting for an administrator who will need to move to intervene on his client machines which induces a considerable saving of time negligible. To make the remote desktop much more effective you can assign a number of user accounts in that. By that you get an most effective way to manage the user account in remote desktop connection. I use the group policy settings mostly to configure my remote desktop accounts with the other machines.

MSN Messenger allows you to directly connect to the host computer just by sending a invitation to the online user. You just have to click on Remote Assistance and choose which way you want to send an invitation. As the user accepts the invitation his desktop comes on your screen and you can simply troubleshoot the computer. The same is also possible if you use Outlook Express. There you have to sen a invitation via email. If you choose Outlook you will need to enter the email address of the person to help you and she will receive a message with an attachment containing the invitation. Using this mode you must also define a password and an expiration date you must contact the administrator before assistance to prevent another evil person caring takes control of your computer. When your friend receives the e-mail, it will then take control of your computer. So in that way you have multiple ways to run remote desktop connection. The Remote Assistance tool offers also a number of tools that make it even more effective, particularly the possibility of holding a voice conversation or text with your partner or even to send a file as in a normal conversation MSN. In that you need to click on the send file or you just need to click on start talking. Console mode is just a basic way of running remote desktop. This is to avoid manual settings for the connection. There is another method of remote support via GPO that is the group policy settings. You can configure the remote desktop here also.