Thread: Microsoft Security Essentials definitions update problem: virus & spyware definitions update failed; error code: 0x80080005

Microsoft Security Essentials definitions update problem: virus & spyware definitions update failed; error code: 0x80080005

I have several problems since I am running vista (6000, 32 bits). I can make no update since on 18/03/08, I still have the same code 0x80080005. Can not install windows live messenger 2008, neither the beta version 2009. can not install yahoo messenger, Itunes (even patched), Windows Defender does not work and so on. unable to install SP1. When I try to manually download an update, I have the following message during installation "virus & spyware definitions update failed ", what should i do. Please help.

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials definitions update problem: virus & spyware definitions update failed; error code: 0x80080005

o begin with we will deliver all the default programs for Windows. We then change the settings if your sister has replaced IE or Windows Mail by other programs. Go into Control Panel / Default Programs. Click on Set the default access to programs and computer.Check the box Microsoft Windows then click OK. Restart the PC and launch Windows Update. Tell me if the search for updates is performed. Creates a new administrator account: Go into Control Panel / User AccountsClick Manage another account and then click Create a new account.Give a name to the new account, check the box Administrator then click Create Account.

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials definitions update problem: virus & spyware definitions update failed; error code: 0x80080005

For the error 0x80080005:
    * Start / Programs menu by default.
    * Defining access settings to default program
    * check default Microsoft Windows
    * Click OK on the windows
    * and you close IE and IE reminders to go to Windows Update.

Try the fix in attachment of this message:

* Download and unzip the file to your desktop
    * Double-click it and let it guide you
    * Restart the computer after running the fix
    * Trying to connect to Windows Update

Permissions problems are quite difficult to solve. specially when involving Windows Update.I had a similar problem (error code 80080005) but it was not located at the same level as you (I got this error code to install the updates). It was resolved by applying the SP1. our house on the SP1 will not install either and the error code that you give has not yet been solved. If you had the DVD install Vista, you could try a repair. Although ... The remedy may not resolve permission issues. I think the best is yet to make a clean re installation of Vista (with formatting) to apply the available updates then SP1 in the stride, before you install your own software.

Before replacing the factory settings ... have you tried to restore the permissions on the registry keys? You need to have a list in the log file windows update. Then you throw in regedit administrator account and then you go down the tree on the left and then you select the keys that do not (one by one) and you do for each:
    * Click the Edit menu.
    * Click on Permissions.
    * For Administrators and SYSTEM, select the check boxes next to Allow Full Control and Read.
    NOTE: In some cases, these checkboxes are unchecked, make sure to be in the session director.

You need to verify that BITS is correctly configured. Then, try to start BITS. When you try to start BITS, you may receive one of several error messages. These error messages are listed in the "Troubleshooting steps" section. If you receive an error message when you try to start BITS, follow the steps in the section that corresponds to the error message that you receive. To verify that BITS is correctly configured and then start BITS, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
    3. In the Startup type box, click Manual, and then click Apply.
    4. Click the Log On tab, and then verify that the service is enabled in every hardware profile that is listed. If the service is disabled in one or more hardware profiles, click the hardware profile, click Enable, and then click Apply.
    5. Click the General tab, and then click Start.

The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service. (0x8007043B)
    If you receive this error message, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qmgr.dll, and then click OK.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qmgrprxy.dll, and then click OK.
    3. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    4. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
    5. In the General tab, click Start.