Thread: "Local area connection" not valid ip configuration

"Local area connection" not valid ip configuration

Hi

I'm getting my connection(or well not yet) from a wireless modem. From the wireless modem there's a cable coming into my switch(need it cause I'm gonna split the connection for a secondary computer) and from the switch into the network card of my computer. The cable coming from the modem into the switch has both RJ45 connectors with the "rollover" wiring done. The modem side connector is plugged into Ethernet 2 port and the switch side connector is plugged into X1 port(8 ethernet ports total). The connectors on the switch-to-computer cable have all the "straight-through" wiring done.

Upon connecting it spent quite some time on the "Identifying" status, then after a minute or so, it said "Unidentified network etc.". I checked the adapters sent and received packets, a lot of packets were sent from my side but 0 packets were received in total. Upon letting win7 troubleshoot the problem it returned the error "Local area connection not valid ip configuration".

So, i tried restarting the modem, with no results, tried ipconfig /release, /renew on my side, tried restarting the switch, checked the connectors for bad wiring work, everything was alright. So now i am here clueless, i could most likely figure it out with lots of testing, but, well, the router is at our neighbors house (who luckily share their connection with my place) and i don't like to trouble them with my troubleshooting and interfering with their media.

I want to figure out what's causing it, thus i came here, to collect as much info on it as possible, if anyone has any idea or a definite fix for the problem please let me know, so my next visit to their place will be quick and painless so to speak .

I haven't got much experience in networking, as I'm still learning it, i know the basics and have done advanced stuff(manually configuring routers/switches via terminal), I've connected many networks with the difference that the previous ones were pretty much plug in and everything works, so i haven't got much experience with troubleshooting networking problems.

Anyway, please share your ideas.

PS: Also, when plugging the ethernet cable into the router ethernet port, the port has a little LED that should start blinking which it doesn't.
    Last edited by ejrgo; 16-10-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Re: "Local area connection" not valid ip configuration

Sorry mistake in PS: ... modem, not router.