Thread: Router to Switch

Router to Switch

Hey i have a old Trendnet router that i was using and just got a new Netgear one. i still have 2 people that cant get on the new Netgear one because of cord issues. can i turn the old Trendnet router into a switch for those 2 other people.

Thanks,
    Solecs

Re: Router to Switch

You can utilize it as presently a switch, but even if you "turn off" its routing capabilities the wireless purposes still work, so you can also use it as a divide wireless access point (which is what I'm doing), which, if your additional router already has wireless access, means that you could run a cable to a dissimilar room to broaden your wireless network. The first step after taking it out of the box is to plug a computer into the "LAN" side. (At this point, don't plug something else into it.) We'll use this for configuration rationales. Launch another web browser and go to http://192.168.0.1/. (The login information should be username=admin and the password is blank, unless you've already changed them.) Click on the "Home" tab and then on the "LAN" button along the left-hand side. Transform the IP Address to "192.168.0.2" and press the "Apply" button at the base of the page. A page will come up stating something like "Device is restarting" or "Saving Changes" and then ultimately a "Cannot connect to server" page (or something like that). Type http://192.168.0.2/ into the address bar on the web browser and log in again. Click on the "Home" tab and now click on the button that says "DHCP". At the very top of the page you should perceive something like "DHCP Server" and then two radio buttons, one for enabled one for disabled. Click on the "Disabled" radio button, and hit the "Apply" button at the base of the page. It will take you to a page that will say something like "Saving changes" and then take you back to the preceding page. At this point, you can click on the "Wireless" button and do any configuration you want to on there. (If you don't want to use the wireless capabilities, feel free to just disable them outright, as this is much more protected.)

At this point, unplug the computer from the recently disabled DI-524 and either reclaims that cable or gets another one and plug one end into a "LAN" port of the DI-524 and the other end into a "LAN" port on whatever other router you're using. (Don't plug anything into the "WAN" port of the DI-524 as it will not be practical for something anymore.) At this point, you should be able to plug any computer into either device and they'll all talk to each other just as if they were all plugged into the identical switch. Also, if you do decide to use the wireless potentials, you'll find that any computer that is wirelessly connected to the DI-524 will operate unerringly the way it would if it were wired into it or the other router.