Thread: Setting up a network with 2 subnets

Setting up a network with 2 subnets

I am having Rogers cable modem in my home network with a WRT54G wired/wireless router, 2 8-port switches and 4 PCs in which one is laptop. There are one or more PC’s which are delegated as servers. I want to set up 2 subnets with the use of the routers as well for DHCP. Currently I am using one subnet but want to set up the two subnet. All the computers in the network goes through the router for IP. I want to ask you that do I need a multi-homed PC. I am confused that from where I should begin.

Re: Setting up a network with 2 subnets

as you told that there are four computers in the network so I don't think that you need to set up 2 subnets fro your system. If anyone has more than 255 computers in the network then only he will need to set up 2 subnets. If you want to pursue this further then you need to do some more research into subnet masks. For the time I think that 1 subnet will be sufficient for you.

I think you should not tell him that he should not do that. I am also on the same track as him. To double my net protection I have implemented two routers in the network. The router at outside is also is also my modem and it provides the Wifi that is why I want to subnet the outside clients with the clients inside. Please don’t advise that it is not a good idea I just want to do it. Thank you.

You should turn on the DHCP on both routers. After that on the second router you have to change the gateway IP address which should be different from the first router. When you are done with this then you will get two networks which has two different DHCP servers. I hope this will help you to set up the 2 subnet. Try this and it will work. I know this because I have done this on my network.

The firmware that you are using should be flashed on your WRT54GL with DD-WRT. After that you will be able to implement VLAN's with multiple DHCP Servers. For each subnet there will be one server. There is also one more setting that you can do is SSID client-client isolation and SSID isolation for the wireless. This will display any peer to peer connection between the wireless clients and your network.

You have to follow the following steps to add a subnet to the network.
    1. First of all you have to select the top level address or the subnet.
    2. Go to Edit -> Add -> Subnets.
    3. Here you have to choose the subnet mask length which is in bits from length column.
    4. If you want the host should be assigned automatically then you have to select Yes when it prompts for it. Or you can also assign host on yourself.
    5. Finally click on OK button.

This is mostly depending on the devices that are used to interconnect the networks. If there is connection between the router to router then you have to use the routing protocol like RIP, IGRP, OSPF and if you are using layer 3 switches then you have to setup the VLANs and a trunk link between the switches.