Thread: AT&T DSL 2210 modem and Linksys router

AT&T DSL 2210 modem and Linksys router

Be able to anybody assist me by means of a tribulations I am having by means of an AT&T Motorola Modem and a Linksys WRT160N router. I have comprised and immediately switched from cable to DSL, my DSL service runs extremely well when associated unswervingly to the PC other than I am not be able to get it to work by means of my existing Linksys router it determine to attach to the internet additional than I am not be able to open web pages or send / receive email. I requested this one shifted from the direct discussion. I do not be familiar with sufficient regarding the Linksys WRT160N to be of any help to the post.

Re: AT&T DSL 2210 modem and Linksys router

The most excellent arrangement for networking a Linksys router (or several additional external routers) by means of the Motorola/Netopia 2210 is to set the 2210 to "Bridged Ethernet" method and permit the Linksys to do the routing and DHCP functions. The Motorola/Netopia 2210 is in addition a router by means of full DHCP functions and might not function appropriately when associated unswervingly to an additional router. Not altering the modem to Bridged Ethernet might result in twice NAT'ing, increased latency, probable IP conflicts, or possibly a network that does not work at the entire.

Together the 2210 and Linksys router be obliged to be reset to defaulting by pressing the reset button for immediately regarding 30 seconds. Despite what the assist desk tech (or anybody else) tells you, resetting the modem does not position it into Bridged Mode. The BellSouth Installation CD is not necessary (nor suggested) to facilitate this arrangement. In view of the information in sequence with the intention of BellSouth assigns static IPs via your username the configurations exposed are appropriate to together dynamic and single static IP customers. Do not hard code a static IP in the router.

You must attach the 2210 unswervingly to the system's NIC to create the necessary changes previous to you attach the router, for the reason that you determine to almost certainly be unable to have right of entry the modem interface subsequent to you attach the router. The reason is with the intention of the modem interface is 192.168.1.254 which is a local IP. By defaulting, most routers do not have the competence to route a local IP out of their WAN port (where your 2210 is associated). Furthermore, they might be on totally different subnets. Subsequent to you encompass made the changes to the 2210 you be able to then attach the router and configure it for utilize by means of FastAccess.

In this you have to confirm that your NIC card is located to "Obtain IP Address mechanically". Entirely power down the 2210 and the system(s). Subsequent to that you have to put ON the modem and press the reorganize button on the reverse of the modem for 10 seconds. Subsequent to the modem has completely reinitialized, attach the 2210 to the NIC and then power up the system. Open a browser submission and enter "192.168.1.254" in the address field to have right of entry the 2210 User Interface . Enter your BellSouth Username go subsequent to by "@bellsouth.net" in the User ID field. Enter your BellSouth Password in the Password field. Subsequent to that you have to one more time your BellSouth Password in the Confirm Password field. After that you have to hit it off on Next. Bring up to date the Auto Calendar Update Configuration as preferred and click next. The modem determines to try to initiate a session and then return to the most important menu.

If the above method not works for you then you be able to do this. Hit it off on Configure correlation from the right menu. Choose "Bridged Ethernet" from the Protocol drag down. After that you have to hit it off on Save and restart the correlation at the bottom. This determines to mechanically restart the modem and the interface determine to return subsequent to the changes are saved. Make a note of functions similar to NAT, DHCP, IP Passthrough, and username and password determine to be put out of action or irrelevant and not be able to be selected. Subsequent to the modem has restarted, power down together the system and the modem then physically disconnect the 2210. When the system is totally powered down, attach one of the router's LAN ports to the system NIC and power up the router and then the system. Reset the router to defaulting by pressing the reset button for approximately 25 seconds (exact placement of the button differs per model).

You can in addition do this on the Linksys Setup page choose PPPoE on or subsequent to the WAN correlation Type pull down. Enter your BellSouth Username pursue by "@bellsouth.net". Enter your BellSouth Password. Choose maintain Alive and enter the suggested 180 seconds in the Redial Period field. Do not enter no matter which in the Host Name or Domain Name fields. Significant Operational make a note of if your model has the capability to physically facilitate MTU size you be supposed to choose Enable or Manual and enter 1492 (or a smaller amount) in the Size field. The MTU fields are not exposed on the screenshot beneath and might be on a dissimilar menu tab. You have to hit it off on Apply to save the changes. You determine to get a "Settings are successful" message, hit it off on Continue (if required). It determine to work for you.