Thread: How to limit bandwidth in the home network?

How to limit bandwidth in the home network?

Hello
    I have brand new HP computer with Windows 7 operating system, and my one of the roommate have a DELL laptop with the windows vista operating system. We are using with the same modem(D-Link Router) for the internet connection, in that case the download speed goes to a huge rate. The cable that I am using is gives me around 3000KBPS on bandwidth, and down up to 200KBPS. I sit for using the same modem for the two system or a maxim hit in download, the missing the Bit per second, when it connect directly with the modem. What should I do for speed up the connection and limit the bandwidth? Or is there any problem in server/proxy?

Re: How to limit bandwidth in the home network?

I think there should be a software issue. Disable the port of your friend which is using the Peer to Peer software connection on his router. This should be cause for the problem, that you posted. Also disable some other things that I am listing, this might be helping you.
    1.Version.
    2.Default range of the BitTorrent as per the version.
    BitTorrent does not use any UDP port.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

The problem may occur for the firmware of the Modem that you are using. Go for the Linksys WRT54G router modem and with a third party firmware on it which has the function of bandwidth management. I had a similar problem with my bandwidth limitation, where my brother used mainly for the download and streaming purpose. That’s why the bandwidth comes in down after a few days. Then I changed with the above mentioned modem, and with the function. That helps me very much to limit my bandwidth by the IP address. Try this.

I think the packets of the router can controlled the level of your network bandwidth, instead of the any program. Because the bandwidth are managed by the ports or the packets. The only thing is that the packet scheduling with the router can give the priority to any program, your computer is not controlled over there. I suggest you for the “Linksys WRT54G” router modem, which comes in a very cheap price, and the firmware is also a good one, which may help you to control the bandwidth.

The limitation on the network bandwidth is first considered in the gigabit network controller’s interface. Though if you are using a PCI controller bus then the amount of the transmitted data should be in the 100-120 MBPS speed. Where the requirement for the Gigabit Ethernet is 125 MBPS. It is also shared with the system, the PCI card and the resources of the system will share the same bandwidth. It will make a limit in the network card the amount of the data/bandwidth availability.

It is sometimes issued that the speed in the network cable often suspect for the cabling. The poor sped is for the closer interface with the network power cable and the cords. At the copper CAT 5e cable create problem for the longer cable in the data transmission, it will also may cause in the CAT 6 cable. Before using you can test the speed regarding the distance of the cable, and then you bale to know how much distance is good for getting the better speed during the transmission.