Thread: Combine 2 or more DSL Lines To Increase Bandwidth

Combine 2 or more DSL Lines To Increase Bandwidth

I was having one DSL line with me and I recently got a new line with a better plan as per requirement. But since I don't want to lay off my previous connection I would like to ask if I can combine them to increase bandwidth? If isn't then will it give some additional advantage to me? I have heard with my friend and so I came here to ask how to do that? If I am not wrong then I have to do bridge the two modems to combine them to share the network. If this is how you can increase the bandwidth then I would like to ask how to do it ?

Re: Combine 2 or more DSL Lines To Increase Bandwidth

You need a device that can combine 2 ADSL connection at a time and thus increase the bandwidth. This setup also helps if your connection goes down which is also known as failover. Go for Dlink DSL-2640B model. DSL-2640B is a 3-in-1 device that combines the function of a high-speed DSL modem, wireless G access point, and 4-port Ethernet router.

There are devices which are specially designed so that they can take two internet connections. They're typically referred to as 'load balancing', since their goal isn't so much to provide higher bandwidth and the speed is divided between two connections. You will find a lot of large sites that use such kind of routers to both load balance between multiple connections, or provide redundancy in case one of the internet connections goes down.

I don't think it is possible to combine two or more adsl connections. I would refer to go for one single connection which has faster speed and never goes down. If your service provide doesn't provide such a connection then preform a search before finalizing.

If your connection is from a singe provider then you can definitely go for multiple connection. You will have to ask your provider for the setup. However if you have two connections from two different ISP then that can create a problem or need special attention. By the way why are you joining those connection? Is it just for better bandwidth and better internet speed or is it for load balancing? What about your usage: office/business or home use?