Thread: Internet Slow Through Router

Internet Slow Through Router

I am using internet service from Comcast which is 10mbps. When I connect to internet through router I found that the internet speed is very slow. I do reset the router and modem which solves the problem but it was temporary. After 2 to10 minutes, it started the same problem.

The internet speed is which I got after testing at speedtest.net is
    • 250-900kbp & 600ms ping when used Netgear WRG614 v9 wireless router
    • 10-15mbps & 60ms ping when Directly connected to my cable modem.

There are five computers in the network in which 2 are wired and 3 are wireless. Please help me to fix the issue. I will be thankful for all replies.

Re: Internet Slow Through Router

There may be problem with the Netgear firmware that you are using. I think you should upgrade the latest Netgear firmware and this may fix the problem and speed up your internet connection. If that is also not helping you then you can replace the Netgear WRG614 v9 with Linksys WRT54g2 and see the difference. and none of them help you then you can install the D-WRT firmware on Linksys WRT54g2. I hope this will help you.

You should clone the mac address of the computers which are on network. The alternate MAC should register the the modem which is on the network differently and they should possibly route the traffic on network differently. You can also see the MTU settings and adjust that settings. This may also create such issue and adjusting the setting may fix this.

The problem may also occur due to fault in Ethernet cable. The cable may be corrupted an not providing the proper connection to the internet. My suggestion to you is to change the Ethernet cable with the new one and see whether it help you or not. In many of the cases like this I have seen that the problem is with Ethernet Cables and people are searching for a big solution. You should try it once.

I have also faced this problem earlier and tried many possible solution to get it fixed but none of them helped me. Finally I found that the problem was with the Firewall. One of my friends suggested me that I should disable the Firewall to get it fixed. I did the same and this solves the problem. The internet speed in my case increases from 1 Mbps to 14 Mbps which was a great change. You should also disable the firewall and see that if it helps you or not.
    Last edited by Zachary; 06-10-2010 at 08:24 AM.

If you are getting such a big difference by changing the firewall setting then you need to change the firewall settings. If that is not helping you then you can try running the stock Linksys firmware and see that the problem occurs again or not. If that is the case then I would like to highly recommend you to for a new router that has the power to push the traffic. You can also built the Linux box with two interfaces and run iptables on it. I have tried this and found the performance was pretty good.

Cable modem may be the reason behind this. There are three factors that you need to consider with Cable Modems.
    • Quality of signal over coax to modem.
    • Are there Splits off your main line? If that is more than one then it signs a bad modem.
    • Number of people in your area who have it. If the area traffic is high ten you will find the speed is low.