Thread: Cat5E vs Cat 6

Cat5E vs Cat 6

Hello,
    I wanted to set up a network consisting of a computer and a router. I require a faster transmission for gaming purpose. The problem i a m facing is that i don't know which is the best cable for making the connection. I know two cable i.e. Cat 5E and Cat 6. From both this cable i do not know that which cable to use. So i require your help.

Re: Cat5E vs Cat 6

According to my knowledge i feel that the major difference between the cat 5E and cat 6 is the transmission performance. There is one more difference related with the extension. The difference is that we can extend the bandwidth of the cat 5E cable from 100 MHz and the cat 6 can be extended from 200 MHz. Hope you have got some difference between the cat 5E and the cat 6.

I think that for the current applications cat 6 will have less errors as compared to the cat 5E, because it is having better transmission performance and a better immunity from noise. This result says that cat 6 cable is having higher reliability that the cat 5E cable. This is all i know about the two cables. I think that this will help you in making your decisions.

I feel that if we are thinking about the future the you should always use a better cable, because we cannot every time replace the cable inside the walls. So if we want to run our future future equipment at a higher rate, then we have to use a better cable. From the cat 5E and cat 6 cables, cat 6 is the better choice.

Thanks for the help. I think that i have got the enough difference between the cat 5E and the cat 6 cable. After referring at your posts,I feel that the cat 6 cable is having the better performance than the cable 5E. Due to this reason now i am trying to buy a cat 6 cable for setting up my home network. With your help my problem is being solved. Thanks once again.