Thread: Unidentified Network; Only Local Access. No Internet Vista?

Unidentified Network; Only Local Access. No Internet Vista?

Hey, I am currently having a @)#()#@ Vista issue where I am only getting PUBLIC ACCESS to my network which consists of 4 computers connecting together with a shared internet source going out to each computer except the Vista machine.

Setup:

(Desktop PC01) Windows 7 Ultimate ~Internet source/ 2 LAN ports (1 shared for internet access throughout network with STATIC IP), other for normal access through network and RDC (Automatically Assign IP)/ Wireless Card (Not in use)~
    (Notebook Lap01) Windows 7 Ultimate ~Just wireless access to internet~
    Media Center MC01) Windows 7 HP ~Wired LAN/ access to internet~
    (Desktop PC02) Windows Vista HP ~This machine only has a LAN port on it and thats the only device connected to it.~

I have a Linksys Router configured to send out wireless and also LAN configured to the Wired Desktops. The notebook is the only thing to use wireless and occasionally my Windows Phone. I have checked that each other computer thats connected is getting internet access, and they are. But when you jump on the vista machine I can connect to each computer on the network and access shared folders and gear etc but cant access the internet.

I think this may have something to do with the computer only having the PUBLIC access, and have tried to change it to HOME-WORK network profile, but have had no luck changing it. The only thing I can change it to is PUBLIC Network or PRIVATE Network, and there is no options to pick what type of network profile you want to connect to.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or fix please, please leave an answer below. If you need any more information on specs of any of the device let me know.

Thankyou for any and all responses.

Re: Unidentified Network; Only Local Access. No Internet Vista?

The computer running Windows Vista was the default OS that came with the desktop installed or was it an upgrade from Windows XP? Did you checked if your network settings were proper? If you can then provide the NIC statistic on your router and also your router statistics such as IP address, gateway etc.

The original desktop computers motherboard was designed for Vista or Windows 7. All network settings are proper, I have double checked the router and the shared internet source. The weird thing is though, is that any windows 7 machine connected up will connect to the internet and will operate fine... Including a Windows Mobile phone.. the things i have so far tried are...

*Tried to change the network from PUBLIC to PRIVATE. One thing I have noticed is that the network will not stay on the PRIVATE network profile and will revert back to the PUBLIC profile for some reason..
    *I diagnosed the connection clicking the red cross between the Unidentified network icon and the un-highlight internet. Did a nic reset and got it to assign a new IP address.
    *then i did (Network Flush DNS Cache and restored Hosts files) with the following code as a bat file...

*@Echo on
    pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    attrib -h -s -r hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
    attrib +r +h +s hosts
    popd
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh winsock reset all
    netsh int ip reset all
    shutdown -r -t 1
    del %0*

also ran this as the admin....

* also update drivers with the lastest manufactors drivers for each of the components as well...

Thanks for the comment. Hope that helps out a bit more!

I also had a similar kind of problem and to solve this issue I have found a resolution that you can follow from below:

Add localservice and networkservice to the administrator group.

Click the start button, search for cmd. Right click, run as Admin.

Type in the following commands:

net localgroup administrators localservice /add
    net localgroup administrators networkservice /add
    exit

Then reboot.

Thanks for the reply,
    yer just tried that than.. (Havnt herd of that one before). Yer still no luck Weird issue..

~UPDATE~

I have been able to solve the issue sort of by going through a 3rd party program and a wireless USB dongle. What I did was installed a program Connectify which shares out your chosen NIC and sends it through your wireless card as a secured wireless network. Still would rather it go through the router and LAN Cable and that, but is good for now.. The programs not real stable either but is a good work around for a bit!

Yes I will recommend you to go for a lan and router support if you are planing for a long run of work. And if this temporary then the procedure what you are using right now is enough and proper. Anyhow if you are using it in office then a proper network infrastructure is needed for the stability of work.

Yer its ok, but I have to have all the wireless USB dongle hanging out of the computer and using up valuable USB ports, haha. No I think I'll be able to get away with it at the moment. Little concerned about the program but, not real stable and seems to conflict my IP address on the Shared internet, which then disconnects it.

Might see how I go contacting MS about it, not sure if they would help or anything but they might....

Thanks for the reply..