Thread: Difference between LAN and WAN

Difference between LAN and WAN

I am new to this forum, so please ignore my mistakes. I have recently started studying about the networking. Actually I am new to the computers (I am having basic knowledge about it). I know about applications like MS Office, Photoshop, Corel Draw, etc. but not having knowledge about the hardware and networking. My friend told me that you members reply very appropriately, so I thought to register and post some queries over here. Please help me. Since, I am newbie, explain me with some basic concepts.

Re: Difference between LAN and WAN

The term LAN (local-area network) defines a network, or part of a network, in which the various devices that are part of are all located within the same building or more than adjacent buildings (distances in 'order of hundreds of meters).

The term WAN (wide-area network) defines a network, or part of a network of devices which also placed at points distant from each other. The definition of "far" is relative of course but in our context we say that we can consider as a WAN network as part of the wiring must extend outside of the buildings owned by a single company / entity (distances in the order of several km).

Two computers that want to communicate need half "physical" to transmit and receive data and the most commonly used is a copper cable. Once you get the half the two computers need a hardware to which the cable can be connected in question said "Network Adapter" often mentioned in the schedules with the acronym NIC (Network Interface Card).

Meet the previous requirements 2 computers are able to "talk" but also so that they can "understand" is necessary, as happens to people who speak the same "language" and to meet this demand several international bodies have established over the years a series of standards to which every producer of network equipment must comply if it wants their devices are capable of interfacing with all the others.

Let's take an example to clarify the concept: everything that is transmitted by the NIC on the cables of the network is represented in binary form, ie through a sequence of digits 0 and 1 coded in turn and then through electrical signals, the most basic level, must agree, for example, on what voltage is interpreted as 0 and as such as 1, but first we must agree on the type of cable to use the connectors to be applied at the end of the cables etc. ... etc. ... And further agreements are then taken to the level of networking software, but for now remain at the hardware level we can say that the standard most widely distributed within the LAN is known as Ethernet and that the body of reference for this and other standards, is 'Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and standards relating to wide area networks are defined by' International Telecommunication Union (ITU).

After looking at the post of 'Abigail101', I would like to add some more information. If the computers to communicate are only 2 (shown in the above figure) then you can connect directly with a cable (particular) that goes from the network card of one than the other but this is one case and not representative of the generality real situations we need to network a much greater number of locations in which case you can not do without one or more hub / switch.

Both hub switches are used for the same purpose: to enable communication between devices connected to the network, the difference is that the hub (now obsolete) simply retransmit what it receives from a leads all other while the switch transmits what it receives from any of its ports only on what you up to the receiver of the transmission. (The term "port" is usually used to describe any of the outlets that are on the in front of the apparatus and which are connected the network cables).

The following are notes that you should aware about.
    • A LAN is a data transmission system, which facilitates the sharing of computing resources in a relatively small geographic area.
    • WAN (Wide Area Netowork) is a data communication network that has a large geographical coverage and used as the transmission medium operators offering telephony services.

In the Red WAN (Wide Area Network) can establish communications with:
    • Point to Point Links. They are known as private lines, and that his record is permanent and fixed.
    • Circuit switching: A switching method which establishes, maintains and terminates a dedicated physical circuit through a transmission for each communication session.
    • Packet switching devices connected to the network share a single link to download the packages from origin to destination. Frame relay networks, ATM and x25 are examples of these.
    • WAN Virtual Circuits: A logical circuit created to ensure reliable communication between two network devices.

A local area network or LAN, is the interconnection of several computers and peripherals. (LANs is the abbreviation for Local Area Network 'LAN'). Its extension is limited physically to a building or an environment of up to 100 meters. Its wider application is the interconnection of personal computers and workstations in offices, factories, etc., To share resources and exchange data and applications. In short, allows two or more machines to communicate. The term local network includes both hardware and software necessary to interconnect the various devices and information processing.

A Wide Area Network (Wide Area Network or WAN) is a type of computer network capable of covering distances from about 100 to about 1000 km, giving the service to a country or continent. An example of this type would RedIRIS network, Internet or any network to which they are not in the same building all its members (about the distance is no discussion possible). Many WANs are built by and for a particular organization or company and are for private use, others are built by Internet service providers (ISP) to provide connectivity to their customers.