Thread: Configuring Linksys WRT54GL router

Configuring Linksys WRT54GL router

Hi
    I just finally got my Linksys WRT54GL router, Having trouble setting up. I already have wired local network serving 6 pc's and 1 printer. Now i want to add a wireless access point for up to 8 pcs. I have heard that Linksys WRT54GL router can serve the purpose. it can simply connected to the Ethernet switch and configured to do what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

Re: Configuring Linksys WRT54GL router

Linksys WRT54GL connected and configured in Wireless Access Point mode

1. Completely ignore the wireless router’ WAN port (do not connect any cables to it). If anything is configured or attached there, the router will try to perform his best job: route, but we don’t want that.
    2. Connect the router to your LAN switch via one of the 4 available RJ-45 LAN ports.
    3. Access the management interface of the router via HTTP. For the Linksys WRT54GL default management address assigned is 192. 168.1.1 (check in the manual which is yours). If your network is not in 192.168.1.1/24 subnet or already one of your important network infrastructure is using the same 192.168.1.1 IP, have one of your computers or laptop directly connected to the router (no cross-over needed) by setting a random IP from the same class.
    4. Setup the desired management IP address (I’ve put 192.168.0.127 on mine).
    5. Re-enter the management interface with the new address.
    6. Double-check that wireless router’ WAN interface is in default DHCP mode.
    7. Setup the wireless network type.
    8. You’re done.

Kindly reset the router first by pressing the Reset button at the back for 10-20 seconds.

1. Disconnect the modem from the router first, and connect the PC to the port one of the router then restart it. (This PC should be the one that can get online if directly connected to the modem)

2. Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Browser.

3. When browser opens, type 192.168.1.1 into the "Address" bar and click on Go.

4. The log-in window will appear.

5. Skip user name and type admin(admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK.

6. On the Setup page, please make sure that the Internet Connection Type is set to Automatic Configuration DHCPor Obtain an IP automatically, then hit on Save Settings below.

7. Under the Setup tab, click on the MAC Address Clone sub tab and click on "Clone your PC's MAC" button, then save the settings.

8. Please go back to Basic Setup, then change the LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1, and then hit on Save Settings below. Dont worry if the page will hang or lock up.

9. Shut down everything for 2 minutes.

10. Connect the modem to the Internet port of the router and power on. (Starting from the modem then the router and lastly your PC).

I hope this will help.

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to the community but i've been following up with the issue regarding configuring 54Gl router.
    I recently just bought one, having followed instructions that shen posted.
    i got all the computers bought wired and wireless to see one another. Although i have a switch in btw the system providing Internet. All systems connected directly to the switch share resources as well as internet connection, but every system connecting via the router whether wired or wireless cant connect to the internet but can view one another.
    What am i doing wrong?

In the Wired connection all the computers might be working on a similar workgroup. So you have to check that first. There is be a simple workgroup for all the systems with appropriate permission allotted to each of them for accessing and sharing the files. Under the wifi network try to create a new workgroup and change the same in each and every system.

That already being done, all the systems are already on the same workgroup and permissions already allocated. I believe the problem should have to do with the default gateway configuration.

Well i went ahead to input the gateway IP in this case 192.168.0.1/24 and a destination lan Ip address 192.168.0.0. but it hasnt started working.

HELLLLLLLP!!!!