Thread: Norton Antivirus 2010 Update Failed

Norton Antivirus 2010 Update Failed

Friends, I am using Norton Antivirus 2010 and now I want to update the antivirus. When I ran intelligent updater it shows me a green tick saying that my system is secure and I need not update the database. But when I tried to run live update then I get some error. The error message was as written “Norton live update was unable to install an update (8920,223)”. Basically it downloads the updates but unable to process them. It gives some messages like:

Norton 2010 IPS Definitions Status : Failed to complete
    Norton 2010 Iron Whitelist Status :Failed to complete
    etc...

Can you tell me how can I update it?
    Last edited by Catawba; 17-09-2010 at 03:40 AM.

Re: Norton Antivirus 2010 Update Failed

It was happened to me a few months back and one of my friend sole the issue and got it fixed. First of all try to run Live Update and as you told that it will show the error message. When it show the last message saying “failed to complete” then you should restart your computer and immediately after restarting run the Live Update. If this is the same case as mine then this time it will run the update successfully. I hope this would solve your problem also.

Thank you very much for replying. I did the same as you told. I closed all the application and rebooted the system and again tried to run the Live Update but it is showing the same error. I tried this for two more times but that was helpless. Can you suggest me any other solution for the for this issue? Any help from anyone will be appreciative. Again thank you for replying.

You can follow the following steps to update the Norton Antivirus 2010 offline.
    1. Very first step is to type "http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html" in your web browser. This will open the webpage for official update download.
    2. Now you have to choose the Norton product name from the list given. download .exe file file to connect the network.
    3. Now copy the updates to any removable device. move update file to computer and double click on update file to install the update.

By this you will be able to install the antivirus offline.

There may be problem with your antivirus setup. It may be corrupted. You should uninstall the Norton Antivirus from your system. Reboot your computer and now dont open any application after that. directly reinstall the Antivirus and try to update it. If it updated successfully then it is fine and if that also not helped you then you should download the fresh setup for it and install it on the computer.

There may be problem with some of the settings of your Norton Antivirus. This may not allowing you to update the database of Norton 2010. You should check the settings for that and if you are not able to find the particular setting then you can check for default setting. Set the default setting and see that it is updating or not. This should be done before any solution and if it is not getting solved then you can go for other solutions.

This was also happened to me a few months back. You can do manual update to solve the problem. I did this several times in past and it solve the issue. Trust me and do it. I am sure this will help you. Sorry I was here when you posted this problem that’s why I cannot post the solution. Do the manual update. Bye.