Thread: Reset Administrator Password On A Cisco Router With SNMP

Reset Administrator Password On A Cisco Router With SNMP

My client is having an older Cisco router. It has been long since it was modified and there network engineer has left the job long back. So there is no contact with him anymore. They now want to add a new server to this router. However no one knows about its password. Is there anyway to get this? Do I need to run the setup software again? Is there any tool to get this information? I have heard about some SNMP tool which helps in this matter?

Re: Reset Administrator Password On A Cisco Router With SNMP

Download "Cisco Snmp Tool" from internet. Its a free SNMP application. This tool allows you to perform full modification of any Cisco router’s running and startup configuration. You can even reboot the router remotely with this tool. Additional features includes :

* Cisco Configuration Download. (startup or running)
    * Cisco Configuration Upload. (startup or running)
    * Device reset and Write NVRAM execution.
    * Telnet and Ping Device Function.
    * Nat Support.
    * Easy Network Design.
    * Realtime Device Up/Down Monitoring.
    * Syslog and Debug Console.
    * Device Info Tool with CDP view.
    * Cisco Config View Tool.

Ok I got this tool but I have never used this kind of tool in my career and so I am unaware of how to use it. Can you help me how to use this tool? It might sound you odd but when it comes to SNMP, I am new to this thing. So it is better if you provide me all the steps that are involved in resetting the admin password on Cisco router.

Ok let me explain you things in detail. First add the router to the Cisco SNMP tool. Type the IP address of the router, hostname and SNMP community string. Click on Add/Update Device. Now you have to test the SNMP connection. For this, click on Device Commands - Test SNMP string. If the connection it proper, you should get the confirmation message then. Now go to Configuration Commands - Reset Passwords. That's it. Your new username and password is resetted to "billy".

If you have physical access to the router then it is even easy. Turn off your router and then on it. Press and hold down control and BREAK key for few second. You may need to repeat this fewer times to have it in effect. Now you have entered the ROMMON mode. Type "confreg". Provide "n" to all options except this: enable "ignore system config info"? y/n [n]: y. Again "n" to all the rest of the options. Once your back to the rommon prompt, type reset. You will then be asked a question like "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: ". Say "no" to it. Now, you can either go to enable mode and do a show startup-config to see what the enable password is; or, if you have an enable secret password set, you can replace it by doing a copy start run, then going into global configuration and creating a new enable secret with enable secret cisco, then copy it back with copy run start.