Thread: Westell Versalink & Cisco Linksys E1000 - Constant Lag

Westell Versalink & Cisco Linksys E1000 - Constant Lag

Hello,

These forums have been more helpful to me than others, so hopefully someone here could help me out. I have a serious problem with my router and modem, or both.

Here's the story, I have a Westell Versalink 327w Modem / Router, in which I used to use. However, my computer seems to be the only computer that isn't able to connect to it properly, even though it used to. I purchased a Cisco Linksys router in order to make it so that the computer would recognize that something is plugged in.

So, I basically have this setup:

Phone / DSL -> Versalink -> Cisco -> Computer

It works almost fine, however it tends to have serious lag spikes or disconnection issues periodically. It's not enough to notice if just browsing the internet... But it's a serious problem when trying to use something like playing a game that requires a constant connection, or viewing a stream.

I've also connected to a view servers using Tracert, and sometimes I'll see unnecessary 225ms connection times during one of the hops.

I've tried all sorts of different things. I've tried having both the Westell and the Cisco connected via PPPoE, I've had only 1 connected, and then the other... I've played around with settings, but nothing seems to work.

I'm horrible when it comes to networking. Can someone please help me with this issue?

Also, because some people are dumb and don't seem to grasp my issue.. this has NOTHING to do with the wireless portion of my connection. I'm not trying to connect via wireless, this is all wired. It does have wireless support, but I'm connected all through cable connections.

Any any ANY help would be appreciated.

PS. I was told by some people that the Cisco E1000 is a modified version of another router, which has the issue I describe, but Cisco won't acknowledge. I'm going to try to hope that perhaps maybe there's a way to still fix it.
    Last edited by IceSage; 13-09-2010 at 07:23 AM.

Re: Westell Versalink & Cisco Linksys E1000 - Constant Lag

Since you have fiddled around your router settings then I believe the problem likes in your Westell Versalink 327w Modem / Router. Why don't you do one thing; connect your DSL connection directly to your Linksys E1000 router, make the necessary changes wherever required and then see if that works.