Thread: No process listening on port 445

No process listening on port 445

I am running Windows XP SP3 on my computer. When we try to connect to port 445, I get an error message saying "Error 67 - Network path not found". Nestat shows the system listening on TCP port 445 but I do not see any service listening on UDP 445. I have fiddled around with NetBT parameters in the registry but didn't found anything odd. What else do I need to get things work?

Re: No process listening on port 445

Which internet security, firewall, anti-virus program are you running? I suppose this may be blocking the SMB protocol. Are all the computers in your network running the same software? Is it working on other computers? It may also be due to some registry misconfiguration which prevents port 445 from being used by the networking stack.

Perform a repair installation of TCP/IP. Apart from that what does your Event log says about the same? And is your WINS proxy server enabled. You can disable it from the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters\EnableProxy
    Set it to "0".

If your concerned is just that no process is currently listening to port 445 then don't worry. Its normal. You never connect to ports but to applications. A port is basically a Layer 4 address which is associated with a "listening" application. If it is no one is listening to that port then there must not be application currently running or may be some one has just stopped or will be starting and so the connection to the port was left opened in order to wait until the process complete its procedure.

May be due to some failure in your connection it was left open by some process which have used it but due to abnormal closure of it, it was unable to close the port that it has used during its operation. So in order to manually close it, here are the below steps:

Start - Run - type "regedit" and press Enter. Navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters. Search for "TransportBindName" registry entry, right-click on it and select "Modify". Under "Value data:", remove its content and leave it blank. This will close the port. Click on "OK". Close the registry and restart your computer.