Thread: Netbios SMB Port 445

Netbios SMB Port 445

I understand that the SMB protocol using the same port (139) and NetBIOS. In this case on a Windows machine when port 139 is open, how to know what protocol is listening. Can someone explain to me why I have a connection in the ESTABLISHED state between some stays unknown. I an trying from my laptop via internet and behind a router, to have access to my shares on a different system.

Re: Netbios SMB Port 445

Windows allows the management of shared files and printers using the SMB (Server Message Block), hosted by a direct TCP connection. This feature distinguishes it from previous operating systems for which SMB traffic required that NBT (NetBIOS over TCP) runs on a TCP / IP. Removing the NetBIOS transport has several advantages, including Simplifying the transport of SMB traffic and removing WINS and NetBIOS broadcast name resolution simpler.

SMB traffic directly supported without using NetBIOS uses port 445 (TCP and UDP connections). In this situation, a header of 4 bytes of data preceding the SMB traffic. The first byte of this header is always 0x00, the next three bytes indicating the volume of data remaining. You can follow the following steps to disable NetBIOS over TCP / IP, SMB forcing traffic to be supported directly.

It is possible that the settings which I had mentioned might let your Windows unable to communicate with older operating systems. Click Start and then go in Settings then click Network and Dial-up. After that you will need to right-click on the LAN there to choose Properties and then click Internet Protocol (TCP / IP), then click Properties. Go to Advanced and from there click the WINS tab, then click Disable NetBIOS over TCP / IP.

The port 445 was hidden in the firewall. So I understand. I did a scan with the symantec security check and it was well hidden noted. Here I remove the service and it seems that since there is more connection. But I have the same problem with the 135 except that here the connection is opened. The latter is Window \ system32 \ mclsp.dll. I do not know if I can delete the service.

It should in any case never be open to an internet connection. Well in fact there should be only connections between machines on a single LAN. What currently is not my case because there are several telecom subscriber connected to my machine. I followed a link to finally to go on a Microsoft support page. You can stop DCOM from there and that might give you some help.

It should in any case never be open to an internet connection. Well in fact there should be only connections between machines on a single LAN. What currently is not my case because there are several telecom subscriber connected to my machine. I followed a link to finally to go on a Microsoft support page. You can stop DCOM from there and that might give you some help.

Netbios is used for management of shared files, this may be quite as allow hackers to penetrate your system to see test tests for a future invasion, therefore it is best to disable. For that go in Start and then go in Control Panel > Network connections > Right click Local Area Connection > Properties > Internet Protocol (TCP / IP) > Properties > Advanced > Wins > Disable NetBIOS over TCP IP > OK.