Thread: Very poor networking performance between Windows XP mode and Windows 7 host workstation

Very poor networking performance between Windows XP mode and Windows 7 host workstation

Recently I have found that the performance between the Windows 7 host workstation and Windows XP virtual mode was poor. The copying of files between both were very slow. Even the printing was found to slower. This became an issue when I was dealing with another issue, where the port number was not assigned to the redirected printer by the XP mode, causing the printing jobs to suspend. The job of printing is very slow on the host OS. From the other forums I got an advise of not using the virtual PC for the XP mode VM, but I do not find it as a solution. So, I am really wondering if anyone here can get me out this?

Re: Very poor networking performance between Windows XP mode and Windows 7 host workstation

I guess that you are missing on something that is causing you this error. Make sure that you have no problem with the requirements. You do not fall short of any software requirements. Do check for the KB972435. Make sure that KB972435 is installed on your system. Try it and if yet you get errors I am sure that all my colleagues here will give you a sound solution. I will also try for some more solution in this context.

Re: Very poor networking performance between Windows XP mode and Windows 7 host workstation

Visala28, I really do not think that KB applies to this scenario. I am actually talking about accessing the resources on the host. I want to access resources not by redirection but by network sharing. I am saying it so confidentially about the KB because, I have already applied and it did not work. I think that there is a bug which is to be fixed in the Virtual PC that is responsible for the poor networking performance. Let me know guys if I am right in predicting this. If correct please give me proper solution. Thanks in advanced.

I think that you should definitely look for the solutions outside the box. That's not your fault, actually when I even was trying the same I discovered that Windows Virtual PC was really a bad option. It nearly took the system resources twice as compared to the others. It was really slow. You can try vmlite.com plugin that will run the .vhd for the Windows XP mode and might give you the desired result.

It is responsibility of the Microsoft to look into this matter. The reason that most of the users that have moved from windows XP to Windows 7 is the use of the XP mode. The users of the XP mode where not interested in switching to Windows 7 but it was the XP mode that convinced them to switch. Now if the XP mode is not working then I think that the XP users will avoid the switching. The XP mode was a perfect remedy for all the applications that did not work well with the higher versions of the Windows. Now if there is a need to use third party virtualization products to overcome some of the bugs then it won't be right from Microsoft's perspective.

I am not sure that I understood your well, by saying that the "applications ran 'perfectly' ". I do not find running the Virtual Machine a seamless option.Now the talk for the third party application. VPC is a third party application that Microsoft has purchased. So, you can download VPC or VMLite and see for yourself. VMLite runs the virtual XP mode since it still gives the same icons on the desktops. The only difference in VMLite and VPC that also a major one is, there's is no need of VT hardware for the VMLite to run.