Thread: Port Multiplier Advice

Port Multiplier Advice

I am thinking of adding one or more port to my system may be in next month. Basically I will require seven ports. The question I want to ask is that is there anyone who has successfully achieved this. Any recommendation for port multiplier will be appreciated. If anyone has any related information for this then please let me know about that.

Re: Port Multiplier Advice

Currently I am having Rosewill RC213 card for my computer system, but thing is that I am not having the end system, that drives or the multipliers for connecting it and testing it. The card is working fine for me and it is identifying the single dive that I have hooked with this thing. Connecting multiple drives seems interesting to me and I am also thinking of doing this.

For your information I am using multiple Sil3726 port multipliers for my computer system in accordance with Sil3124 based cards, no doubt they are working fine. The operating system I am using is windows XP and windows 2000 and they are perfectly match with each other. There is one thing to notice that most of the multipliers comes with the old BIOS, hence it will be better if you updated the BIOS.

Theoretically a single port is able to support more than fourteen drives through the use of post multiplier. But the thing is that I have not seen this kind of setup practically. The maximum port that I have seen connected through multiplier are five not more than that. If you want you can try to connection more than seven ports as per the theoretical instructions.

I am looking for an external box of 4 or 5 bays of 3.5 "(USB 2.0 and / or eSATA, or rather just eSATA) I took stock of my research and solutions found (Using OR rather particular Tpe / Soho) I do not expose here solutions suitable for SMEs, for which the Pro Qnap have many storage solutions for SMEs, but far too expensive for small offices / home users.

For your information: Each of our eSATA Nas cannot manage individually, volume more than 2TB (for eSATA) (Release the v3.3.0 firmware should be remedied which is part of Staf Qnap and very active) "In firmware v3.3.0 you can get the support for more than two terabytes external drives through USB and eSATA both. I hope that it had helped you to understand what I am trying to convey.

According to me ports eSATA do not handle "port multiply," unlike USB which already manage. That is why, in the official list of Qnap, listing the compatible external casing, you will only find MultiBay boxes that are USB 2.0 connect to our NAS. The eSATA who needs one port per drive (And each of your eSATA Nas manages a disk drive with a capacity up to 2TB). Since we have 2 eSATA ports by Nas, that limits our ability Mass Storage eSATA External 4TB max. This limitation does not apply to the USB port, with which you can use more disk capacity of over 2TB connected together on a single USB port (Port Multiplier)