Thread: HP MediaSmart Server and eSATA port

HP MediaSmart Server and eSATA port

I now working with the HP MediaSmart EX470: The four drive cages are in the proper state with 4- 500GB drives. The eSATA port is plugged with an Antec MX-1 enclosure with the 1TB drive.

After explaining the workaround, there is one question running into my mind. Do you have any idea about the component as the eSATA port multiplier through which I am able to get connect with the HP's eSATA port so that I am able to associate two more eSATA Extenal Drives ? I would then be capable to run with 3 SATA drives plugged through the one eSATA port of the HP EX470.I really don't have any idea to work with the USB ports.

Re: HP MediaSmart Server and eSATA port

I received you thread and after considerin gabout your question. I have done some practicals and little bit study about the same you asked here . According to the HP, It is possible to do . The eSATA port is able of functioning as the host port for a port multiplier. I am so sorry but I don't have any more idea and specification about the same right now . I am moving to find this out, after all, and I will let you know what I go there .

This type of multipliers actually exist and a frequent Google searching switches up several including the Addonics 5X1 eSATA Port Multiplier. I would be around the warnings with such a thing though as you are running with more than one hard drives getting managed on a single SATA channel, likely leading to decrease the performance, not unlike working with more than one hard drives on the same USB controller.

Fine , I still don't have any idea about the proper specifics. This is my understanding that there is some of the options specified out there specially for the SATA related chip sets which assumes as compatible with the port multipliers, and there are some port multipliers are absolutely not compatible on some chipsets. However, this document states that the port multipliers are compatible , so some port multiplier has obviously been checked .

In the HP EX470, the internal SATA drives which is up to four are properly plugged through the SiS 1182 controller. The eSATA drive got plugged through the Marvell 88SE6111-NAA1 controller that I have studied that it supports the port multipliers.

I am going to find out that if there is something left over from the Xmas budget. If yes then I am looking at an the external SATA enclosure with the build in port multiplier.