Thread: Cannot access WHS from Remote Desktop(s) on Vista Home Premium clients

Cannot access WHS from Remote Desktop(s) on Vista Home Premium clients

I have Windows Home Server setup at my office. I am trying to access this server from Windows Vista Home Premium computer. But the problem is that I am unable to do so. Is this how WHS designed and will I be able to access this server from from client Vista computer? How? I have tried with Windows XP computer and it has no issues connecting to the server. Please help in my Remote Desktop connection.

Re: Cannot access WHS from Remote Desktop(s) on Vista Home Premium clients

Can you tell us how is your server and client computer configured? Do they have Static IP or is it assigned by DHCP? Are you able to ping the WHS server from Vista machine? Also try to ping the server by its name ( and not the IP address). Generally if you get some different IP then you have assigned it then that means it is resolving to an address outside your network and this is were the problem can arise. Also make sure the DNS settings are properly configured.

How about the connection type? Wireless or wired? If its wireless then make sure you have the network connection configured to PRIVATE NETWORK. The public type of connection generates conflicts and so might that be causing the problem. Even add your server name/ip on the hosts file so that it not left unresolved.

This can be solved by simple registry fix. All you need to do is change the networking configuration to mixed mode. This will help it to broadcasts first and then deferres to other mechanisms (DNS and WINS). Once you are done with the changes, restart your computer and all local machine.