Thread: Convert server to pc

Convert server to pc

I wanted to know if I can really convert a server to pc. The reason I am asking this is because I had a Gateway server and I was trying it to convert it to a pc. When I started booting up the server I got a message saying, "To change settings press "F1" key". However nothing happens only a message appears it says something like "Preparing to run setup". Any help in this matter would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Fox28; 17-08-2010 at 01:24 AM.

Re: Convert server to pc

Actually it is waiting for you to take the further steps. If you want to go further with the setup press "Delete", "F1" and "F2" any one of these and you will get into the setup. Also another case I would like to tell you that may be causing problem is that there may be no OS installed as usually servers are cleaned up well before being given away.

Yes a server can be used as a pc it is actually just a robust PC but only on one condition that you should have the appropriate drivers for all the hardware. Also, see if the server has a SCSI card or adapter because SCSI drives use ribbon cables that are either wider or narrower than IDE cables. If you have SCSI make sure that you have all the proper drivers for the adapters.

Yes it can be done but do make sure of somethings. First of all make sure that your server is not empty at all. It sould have an operating system in it. If it is not the case install an operating system and then go further. Please delete all the partitions and do a clean install. Also check if there is an array controller installed. Otherwise first create a driver-disk and check your array-setup. Can be mostly done during boot pressing CTRL-A