Thread: Windows Home Server with Exchange Server 2007

Windows Home Server with Exchange Server 2007

I have Windows Home Server and Exchange Server 2007 setup at my home. I want to utilize these products to their extent and so need your help. I want a mail server for email, contact, calendar etc which should be synchronized on all of computers. Then I want a common media server storing all of my music files on it. Other than that I want the server to be accessible from all of the computers. Can anyone help me in this matter?

Re: Windows Home Server with Exchange Server 2007

You need to reinstall Exchange Server for setting up email server. Insert the Exchange Server CD and click setup file. Install the desired component including Net Framework, Microsoft Management Console, Microsoft Command Shell, Microsoft Exchange and Critical Updates. Enable "Error Reporting" and select the type of installation. Now follow the wizard to complete the mail server setup.

If you want to setup email server and media server, Windows Home Server is not the one that suits your need. You should instead need to install Small Business Server. The main reason why SBS is recommended over WHS is that you will notice a lot of complexity in the later one. You will find a lot if permission issues and security risk. Exchange Server is more recommended on SBS.

Yes, I support the previous post. Configuring a mail server is beyond the scope of Windows Home Server. This is how product has been designed. It is just for limiter number of user to have their standard email account provided by the ISP. It is basically for home users and mostly prefer to use web based email client then Windows inbuilt. Even you may think of who and why a home user need such type if setup. Its completely useless for them.