Thread: The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to

The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to

I get the above message when I tried to access a network mapped drive located on Windows Home server. I was forced to restart my WHS to get things in normal. Now the problem is that I am unable to access those drive although I can ping that server from my client computer. If I try to delete the mapping and recreate it once again it is connected. But again if I try to access the drive, I get "The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to " message. Can you help me to get rid of this freaking message?

Re: The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to

You will find it odd about my solution, but you can at least try out. Delete the current mapped drive from the list. Now reboot your computer. Once done, create a new mapping and this time instead of choosing the same drive letter as it was initially, select another one and see if you are able to access the drive. This has happened to one of my friend and this is how I solved his problem. Its a complete R & D scenario.

First of all, remove the account lockout policy. It may be locking your reference account after successive attempts of logging to the server. Next make sure all the account status (go to reference/network/enterprise accounts) is unlocked. Then look in the authenticating server for those clients which are accessing network mapped drives on the server. For this you may use the "set l" command to check the authenticating server. If you are still unable to get anything then I think there is some conflict between the client and the server. Restart both of them and see if this works.

Check the user name in the Advanced User Accounts Control Panel. This must be the one that is having the problem while connecting to the server. Go to Start, Run, type 'control userpasswords2' and press Enter. If you are running Windows Vista then you may be prompted for admin password. Provide it as and when required. You should be able to see one or more user names in the list. Make sure you have the user from which you are logged in is appearing in the list.

Just check with the user's password what it is and then reset the password from active directory with this one. I think the password that you were using have been expired. I am in doubt why you are not prompted for the password when you are connecting to the network drive. Once done with the above steps and you are able to login, make sure you make the necessary changes to deny password deny option.