Thread: System error 53 - network path not found

System error 53 - network path not found

The map a network drive fails on the ground giving an error message as "System error 53 - network path not found".!! I am describing the scenario which can be useful for you members to help me out. The shared folder on a XP 64 bit machine, another computer readily available. The computer, to be accessed from Windows Vista 64 bit. Also I have enabled Netbios over TCP IP. I have tried the following command :
    net use y: \ \ ip address \ share folder / user: computername / user password / persistent: no
    Please help.!!

Re: System error 53 - network path not found

How then is the name of the folder (or its share name) on the computer? Contain spaces or even a system folder (printers, C $)? Username = Host Name? Possibly. tried with the Windows (Windows) credentials of the user rather than authenticate the data passed, and I knew the problem so far only under Windows XP. Sit times instead of the password a star one (prompts you to enter on) and see what happens when you do not, a false and relaying for the correct password.!!

I think that it would be better if you provide the details of the following queries :
    1. "Net view" on both computers, they see each other?
    2. \\ Computer name (or IP) in the Explorer on the Vista box (exact error message).
    3. "Net use y: \\ ip address \ share folder * / user: username" on the Vista box (including complete command output).
    4. Look then in the Event Viewer in Windows Logs, security and system, whether error messages are stored there (in security should have an entry with the login data and reports on system 4 where two processes are started).
    If you have not tried the above things then try and let us know what were your results.

1. \\ Computer name (or IP) in the Explorer on the Vista box (exact error message).
    Do not see themselves, but I have to check whether this is unusual (it is the very large university network, the computer sees only).

2. "Net use y: \\ ip address \ share folder * / user: username" on the Vista box (including complete command output).
    Windows has confirmed is the "..." currently online, but no answer to connection attempts. Thought is a firewall between. I had disabled firewalls, it can not lie there.

3. "Net use y: \ \ ip address \ share folder * / user: username" on the Vista box (including complete command output)
    net use y: \ \ ip \ folder / user: name password / persistent: no (the command is available as a batch and it works on other PCs). Error: System error 53 has occurred The network path was not found

4. Look then in the Event Viewer in Windows Logs, security and system, whether error messages are stored there (in security should have an entry with the login data and reports on system 4 where two processes are started)
    "The on-access driver failed to read from the file \ afs \ all \ _._AFS_IOCTL_._" The network drive is however no AFS drive! Open AFS is running in the background.

Please keep on helping..

The on-access driver failed to read from the file \ afs \ all \ _._AFS_IOCTL_._" The network drive is however no AFS drive! Open AFS is running in the background.
    Sounds like your last presumption shall just take a VM to the host network adapter to NAT translation, and see if you come with the VM on the release. If so you've narrowed down the error, perhaps the failure of the OpenAFS service. Possibly. helps because even a clean installation.

If that does not go SHOULD: Hang both computers at all in the same (Sub-) network? WLAN, dormitory network, VPN? Subnet mask determine the best rate with the data center, access to networks at all on each other. Otherwise also try to re-install the network driver times, as had occurred in the protocols still a bug with tcpipsys. (But not during the network access was attempted).