Thread: Server 2003 how to setup with router on public side

Server 2003 how to setup with router on public side

New guy here to networking and a forum like this. Thought I'd give it a shot. I am setting up a network with this general idea. I want to setup the Server 2003 behind a Netgear wireless router (public side). Hiding my LAN behind the router. I have AD, DHCP, etc on NIC#2 of the server. NIC#1 isn't used right now. I have my misc laptops connecting to the wireless router for internet access. The server has an IP address reserved on the router. Now I want to add 1 laptop to the domain I created on the server. Where do I connect it for it to add it to the domain? Wireless to the router won't work. Since AD is on the server, I'm assuming this is why the new entry can't resolve the DNS. Only other place to connect is to the 1st NIC on the server, but DHCP on NIC#2 won't assign IP addresses that way.

I need some design help to point me in the right direction to read about or attempt if enough info is available in here.

Thanks for your help

Re: Server 2003 how to setup with router on public side

I think that you will have to enable VPN communication from the Internet to your server, you'll need to do two things on your router: forward TCP port 1723 to the server's IP address, and enable VPN Passthrough (aka PPTP Passthrough). As router interfaces vary between models, I don't know exactly how to perform these tasks on yours, but you should be able to find documentation on Netgear's website if you don't currently have any. In fact, here's the main support page for that router:
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/FVX538v2.asp

Re: Server 2003 how to setup with router on public side

Another detail I didn't mention was that I am hosting a public web site on the server. I setup port forwarding for http (port 80 I believe) to the server's Ip address. It still won't let through http requests. I haven't explored that again yet. It's just a dev environment so I can work with it from the web browser on the server.

So, correct me if I'm off in left field. I understand VPN as a user already a member of the domain having access to the server from outside. I'm not that far yet. What I am trying to achieve is the wireless router as the firewall for the internet connection, hiding the Server 2003 behind it. Forward http requests through the router to the web server. I have 1 laptop to add to the domain and 1 laptop that will be a standalone connecting to the Netgear router wireless. The standalone laptop connects to the Netgear wireless for internet access. no problem. Now it's time to add the 2nd laptop to the domain and I have a mind block of how to connect it to the server. The only place left would be the 1st NIC on the server that is not setup with anything. It sounds like a multihomed setup on the server....or bridge the connections....or set RRAS to do the routing.

How do I setup the 2 NICs on the server?