Thread: The DNS replacement for the Hosts file

The DNS replacement for the Hosts file

I have recently started using the DNS, so frankly speaking I am having very less knowledge about the topic. I have been told to do the replacement for the hosts file that are situated at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. So I thought that posting here would be useful and I may get some solutions over here from you members. Please tell something more about this topic with some useful solutions. I am expecting some quicker responses from your side.

Re: The DNS replacement for the Hosts file

I think that you must first change the permissions ... that should help you. You should be knowing that hosts files are used in smaller networks, where there is no DNS server. In the hosts file can have individual IP addresses on the network (more) names are assigned. This has several advantages. The first would be that computers can address on their behalf (it is much better when you can enter, for example, instead http://www/http://192.168.0.1/), also are much easier to remember names as sequences.

The first would be that computers can address on their behalf (it is much better when you can enter, for example, instead http://www/http://192.168.0.1/), also are much easier to remember names as sequences.
    Another reason is that subsequent changes can be made more easily in the network structure, for example if all users in their mail and news programs as a mail server "mail" and have registered as a news server "news" and both servers previously ran on the same machine, but now the mail server to run on another computer, so we change in the hosts files simply the IP assignment for the host name "mail" and everything continues as usual, without requiring the user to change their settings.

The only drawback of my knowledge, is that the Hosts file on each computer must exist, that is not somewhere on the network hosts file, after the judge, all computers. However, you can copy a small script (I will get to later) when booting the computer the current hosts file from the server.

On Windows 9x/ME the hosts file is located in the main Windows directory (eg c: \ windows \). Under Windows NT/2000 the hosts file is located at [WinNT directory] \ system32 \ drivers \ etc (eg c: \ WINNT \ system32 \ drivers \ etc \). Exists in the directory all within the hosts file (if there are hosts.sam the file, rename it to open it in hosts), this, otherwise you create a blank file named hosts. You will now have a file with the following (if you created a new file, this empty, of course) Subject:
    Code:
     # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp..
     #
     # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP / IP
     # For Windows 2000 is used.
     #
     # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names.
     # Each entry must be on a separate line.  The IP
     # Should address in the first column followed by the corresponding
     # Hostnames are.
     # The IP address and host name must include at least one
     # Spaces to be separated.
     #
     # Additional comments (such as these) may in
     # Separate lines or be added after the computer name,
     # But must be entered using the character '#'.
     #
     # For example:
     #
     # # Source server 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com
     # # X client 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com

127.0.0.1 localhost
    Rows facing a "#" stands are comments, that these lines are not observed.