Thread: Getting Access is Denied when accessing Windows 7 share from Windows XP

Getting Access is Denied when accessing Windows 7 share from Windows XP

I contain or include a Windows 7 system with the intention of is in a Workgroup. I have comprise and shared the C root by means of a sharename called CDrive. I am trying to right of entry this share by means of a Windows XP system that is enrolled in a Domain. Commencing the XP system command prompt, I describe net use z: \\win7system\cdrive /user:myuser (myuser is an superintendent account on Win7System). The net utilize completes successfully, on the other hand, when I try to have right of entry the shared drive I get a communication "Access is denied". Why is this occurring and how be able to I accurate it. To make a note I am capable to have right of entry the pre-defined homegroup shares, additional than not the C Root share that I set up from side to side Windows Explorer. I encompass seen additional posts on similar sharing issues by means of Windows 7 and XP, additional than most seem to indicate that together the XP and Windows 7 system must belong in the similar workgroup. What regarding if they do not similar to in my case.

Re: Getting Access is Denied when accessing Windows 7 share from Windows XP

Additional than I have originate reply to your query. Explanation is actually simple immediately a one key in registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System generate or modify 32-bit DWORD: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy. You be able to basically utilize Homegroup by means of additional Win7 computers. You determine to necessitate putting out of action the Homegroup and utilizing regular network sharing in your case. In Windows 7, then you have to go to Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Network and Sharing Center. Subsequent to that hit it off on "Change advanced sharing settings". Then you have to do the following things turn ON network discovery, turn ON file and printer sharing, turn ON sharing in the Public folder sharing segment and turn ON password protected sharing.

In this you have to generate matching user accounts and passwords on the entire apparatus. You do not necessitate to be logged into the similar account on the entire apparatus and the passwords assigned to every user account be able to be dissimilar; the accounts/passwords immediately necessitate to exist and match on the entire apparatus. Do not ignore to generate passwords, even if basically easy ones . If you desire a machine to boot unswervingly to the Desktop (into one scrupulous user's account) for convenience, you be able to do the following Start>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]. Hit it off on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when encouraged by UAC. Uncheck the alternative "Users must enter a user name and password to utilize this system". Choose a user account to mechanically log on by clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the accurate password for that user account (if there is one) when encouraged. Leave it blank if there is no password (null).

If one or additional of the systems on your network is XP Pro or Media Center, revolve off easy File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab). In addition, distribution out the root of drives is not most excellent practice in view of the fact that it is a sanctuary problem. The information in sequence from Michael Bell (MS) beneath is for Vista additional than is in addition appropriate to Win7. "When you contribute to out the root of a drive in Vista, the UI basically permits this from side to side the advanced sharing alternative. When the advanced sharing alternative is used it basically sets the share permissions. The actual permissions on a file share are a amalgamation of Folder and Share permissions. In Vista the everybody group does not encompass permissions so when you attach without a password the system you be able to observe the folders additional than not right of entry them or possibly attach to the share but fail to open it. For this you have to open Computer, after that you have to right hit it off on the shared drive and choose properties from the context menu. Subsequent to that choose the Security Tab in the displayed properties sheet. If you are concerning to the system by means of no password then you are connecting by means of the guest account. In order to have right of entry the files on the drive, everybody group requirements to have right of entry set here."

I am not moderately up-to-speed up till at present on the Windows 7 HomeGroup so bear by means of me. I am presumptuous that you mean that I necessitate changing the Network Location from Home to Work. Here is to bring up to date. I tried to do this on a less important Windows 7 virtual apparatus (not my physical Windows 7 apparatus) whose network location is set to Work. It comes into view as though I be able to have right of entry network shares on the virtual apparatus for the reason that its network location is set to run. Might you give pleasure to explain the dissimilarity in behavior in Windows 7 when a system is set to Work vs. Home vs. Public for the network position.

No, Homegroup is an innovative networking perception that Microsoft has come up by means of for sharing files, etc. connecting Windows 7 systems. Individually I imagine it's a bit half-baked and most people determine to have comprise and mixed OS networks and not immediately Windows 7 apparatus. I am not certain what the dissimilarity connecting Work and Home is sustained or maintained to be in the Win7 "thinking". They are together private networks. This means they are behind a router and not observable to the world for the reason that they encompass private IP addresses and are members of the Local Area Network. Consequently it's safe to share resources. A public network is if you are associated unswervingly to a cable/DSL modem and comprise a public IP address or if you are concerning at a cafe or additional public network and desire to maintain additional out of your system.

You have to put out of action the built in Administrator the entire in excess of again for sanctuary purposes. The tribulations are that you are trying to share the root of C: which is a prevented directory. There be supposed to by no means be a necessitate to share out an entire drive. Doing so immediately increases the chances that somebody determine to damage your operating system. On the other hand, if this is not a apprehension in your situation the information in sequence below determine to demonstrate you what to do. It was written for Vista additional than it is in addition applicable in Windows 7. "When you share out the root of a drive in Vista, the UI basically permits this through the advanced sharing alternative. When the advanced sharing alternative is used it basically sets the share permissions. The authentic permissions on a file share are an amalgamation of Folder and Share permissions.