Thread: MSE hangs Thunderbird when virus is detected during message download

MSE hangs Thunderbird when virus is detected during message download

I have Thunderbird as my default email client. I am using Microsoft Security Essentail as my default antivirus program. When I receive mails the MSE gets hangs and nothing happens. I keep on clicking on the same but nothing works there. I tried to press Ctrl + alt + del and then running the same back again. But nothing works there. It get stuck while Thunderbird downloads messages. I need a good antivirus not for this. I also have some trojan virus in my system.

Re: MSE hangs Thunderbird when virus is detected during message download

The issue does not seems to be with MSE. I am sure that it works well with Thunderbird. The problem is due to some malware or virus which is dectected and which makes MSE to get freeze in between. For the trojan I will show the most command place where they make enteries. For that run registry editor and then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ RunServices. Delete the last enteries from here.

I will recommend you to check the System Event Log first for this. This report will show you the detection information and then you can find out what is the exact problem in your system. In case of trojan everytime after removing a boot entry, and you must quickly make a system reboot. Because some Trojans are periodically updates the Registry entries, you should not unnecessarily delay the restart of the system.

The issue can be with Thunderbird where it is not able to download the messages which is being blocked by any security application in your system. Try to re-install or disable MSE for first time and then get the mails. For virus first check that you have the file name of the virus. To fully remove the Trojan system, this program file must also be deleted. For fixing that search the file name and then check back.

Some people think that the removal of infected files deleted the Trojan as well. Well there will be a Trojan, but usually duplicates itself and invades your important files. Deleting these files will create more problems for your PC. You must scan your system under safe mode and use your system must safely. Like do not make banking transaction on the infected system and do not download files from suspicious place.

In your case I think the MSE is being infected by some virus due to which it is getting hanged. You must switch to any internet security suite for more protection of your system. The virus comes in your system via p Peer-to-peer programs, they usually dress up as a codec pack, movie or mp3 file. It also enters your system if you visit to an unsecured site may also get a trojan in your PC.

Here I am listing you some free tools that you can try in place of MSE. You can go fo Ad-Aware 2009, Spybot, A-squared, SpywareBlaster, AVG Anti-Spyware and Malwarebytes Anti-malware. This all are free to download and use. Or else you can just add a firewall in your system. For that you can download ZoneAlarm, Look'n'Stop and Comodo Firewall.