Thread: PPTP VPN not working with Windows 7. Error 691. Works fine with XP

PPTP VPN not working with Windows 7. Error 691. Works fine with XP

I have a network setup at my office and they all are running on Windows 7. I had a PPTP which is hosted by the VPN server 2003. But the same is not working at all and while connecting I am getting Error 691. I had tried all types of connection here in the VPN but nothing works here. I tried this on the older version of Windows like Windows XP Pro and it worked. Any ideas for the same will be appreciated.

Re: PPTP VPN not working with Windows 7. Error 691. Works fine with XP

What I had found in my research that for this first you must diable the firewall on temporary basis. Then you can follow up more to troubleshoot the matter. You can then collect the RAS logs to find out information on the connection issue. You will need to collect the logs on the startup first. For this run netsh ras set tr en and then ru nnetsh trace stop. Now the last command for disabling the login is netsh ras set tr di. The file is in the Temp\nettraces folder.

One thing I want to tell you that before using the netbios names, it would be wise to do tests with IP's. Since your VPN client, have you tested to make pings with the machines in your network including your server. Tracert might help them see more clearly too. The part of the connection works, and I grew to understand why sustainable models that did not work. I had activated a checkbox in dyndns.

I had tried the same but still the he problem persists. The connection is established and I may not see the y network. I had connected my laptop to the server via VPN and there the authentication works. In the connections window, the icon displays that my VPN is connected behind the firewall. So far it works. The problem is that when I go to My Network Places generally seen when the network is local my laptop is not shown there.

It is common for most of the people to look for computers in My Network Places. Before saying that it does not work, there are tests to perform. And this is certainly not the My Network Place will tell you if your installation works. If you do not see the pc's in network it is because you have WINS servers. In fact when there is no WINS server, the machine uses the broadcast address to get the netbios name of the machine, or the broadcast does not pass through the routers except special configuration, in which case the person knows what it does). Add a WINS server if you really want to see the pc's in your network neighborhood. Otherwise study the hosts file.

I do not understand much about your explanation on WINS server. I realized that DNS and WINS are almost the same, the LAN DNS and WINS on the net. But how do you do settings for the configuration. Actually, I am looking for a similar detail procedure that how the connection is made. But I cannot find my server. I had also done a bit research on WINS and nothing gave me support here.

It is possible to access the private network using a VPN PPT. In most of the case the PPTP VPM is always a sucessful connection without any issue. In that you can easily connect to a public wifi netowrk. The VPN access is used to enable mobile users to access the private network. The user uses an Internet connection to establish VPN connection.