Thread: VMWare freezes

VMWare freezes

When I utilize VMware products, my host’s hangs or freeze up when I command on a virtual mechanism. Sometimes subsequent to I reboot, the virtual apparatus is corrupted. Are there several recognized tribulations regarding this. I seem to be full of query this week. Does anybody else have familiarity with freezes in VMWare. I have comprise a Win 2K virtual apparatus (purely to utilize Office 2000 for compatibility by means of work) additional than it has started to freeze up occasionally for a couple of seconds each 5 minutes or so. It by no means used to do it additional than at present it does - several recommendations would be appreciated.

Re: VMWare freezes

The VMware has experiential multiple tribulations on hosts by means of legacy video drivers installed. You be supposed to maintain your host updated by means of the most recent video drivers obtainable for your video card. This tribulation is not limited by host operating system, video card producer or unambiguous driver version or description. Tribulations have been noted by means of older drivers from the entire manufacturers on together Windows and Linux hosts. VMware products necessitate file systems within a guest operating system to be quiesced previous to a snapshot operation for the purposes of backup and data reliability. VMware products which utilize quiesced snapshots contain, additional than are not limited to, VMware Consolidated Backup and VMware Data Recovery.

Virtual apparatus generating heavy I/O workload might encounter tribulations when quiescing previous to a snapshot operation. These tribulations might be related to the constituent who does the quiescing or the convention quiescing scripts as described in the Virtual Apparatus Backup Guide. Services which have been recognized to engender heavy I/O workload contain, additional than are not limited to, Exchange, Active Directory, LDAP, and MS-SQL. The quiescing operation is completed by an optional VMware Tools constituent called the SYNC driver. As of ESX 3.5 Update 2, quiescing is in addition completed by Microsoft's Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). VSS is making available by Microsoft in their operating systems as of Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP. Operating systems which do not have comprise the Volume Shadow Copy Service create utilize of the SYNC driver for quiescing operations.

A guest operating system might come into view to be unresponsive when there is an inconsistency connecting the SYNC driver and services generating heavy I/O. If installed, the SYNC driver grasps incoming I/O writes at the same time as it flushes the entire dirty data to a disk, thus making file systems dependable. Under heavy loads, the delay in I/O is able to become too long, which affects numerous time-sensitive applications, containing the services which engender the heavy I/O (such as an Exchange Server). If writes issued by these services get delayed for too long, the service might stop and issues error messages.

For this you have to put out of action the VCB SYNC Driver (LGTO_Sync). After that you have to put out of action the SYNC driver permits you to maintain the heavy I/O services on-line, additional than results in snapshots being merely crash-consistent. To put out of action the VCB SYNC driver: First you have to move to the Device Manager, then you have to hit it off View > Show hidden devices. Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers. Then after that you have to right hit it off on Sync Driver and hit it off Disable. Subsequent to it hit it off Yes twice to disable the apparatus and restart the system.

You have to utilize the subsequent pre-freeze and position defrost scripts to acquire the service engender heavy I/O offline for immediately regarding 60 seconds and then restart it the entire in excess of again subsequent to the snapshot is taken. This approach leaves the service inactive, additional than keeps the SYNC driver facilitated at the same time as the snapshot is taken, ensuring submission consistency. Using this method, you generate the quiesced snapshot of guest operating system. To circumvent this problem, put out of action the SYNC driver or stop the service generating heavy I/O before taking a snapshot.

You be supposed to run MenuMeters (a complimentary utility). It determine to demonstrate you system uses at a momentary look in the menu bar. It might assist and tell you why vmware is freezing (HDD maxed out / ram maxed out / CPU pinned). If it's the CPU that gets pinned, I would then utilize the Windows Take Manager and create certain out what is using so much CPU. I have the similar tribulations and it is driving me crazy. In recent times I determined to seriously try to renovate to Linux 100% of the time. In order to do this, on the other hand, I necessitate using windows-only program.