Thread: Potential rootkit infection

Potential rootkit infection

I am using Windows Vista operating system with McAfee antivirus. I think that there is a potential rootkit infection in my system because the entire computer is running quite indifferently. Actually, I have scanned the system with the help of this antivirus, but nothing malicious has been detected. If anyone can provide me a suggestion for a tool that can detect and remove this rootkit, then it will be very much helpful.

Re: Potential rootkit infection

The signatures of the potential rootkit infection may not be available in the database of the antivirus because of which the potential rootkit infection is not being detected. Anyways, there is no need to worry. Simply update the database, so that the signatures of the potential rootkit infection will be added. Now, if you scan the system, if any infection is there in your system, then they can be detected and eradicated.

The potential rootkit infection acts as a trojan, that seems to be a genuine program of the system from outside, but internally works totally for the destruction of the computer. A normal means of detecting infection by mere scanning cannot help you to find the same. It is required that the activities of the system must be monitored. An anti-malware like Spyware Doctor can help you for this same purpose. The potential rootkit infection will be removed as soon as it does any activity in the system.

According to me, boot scan is the bets method that is to be used for the potential rootkit infection. I have been using the same for eradication of any infections that enters my computer. All the antivirus do not have this feature of boot scanning. You need to install Avast antivirus for this particular feature. The boot scan will start before the operating system loads and thus, if there is a potential rootkit infection in your system, then it will be inactive during the boot scan because of which the antivirus can delete it with ease.

A system restore is a technique that the takes the system back to a time when no applications or programs were installed in the computer. So, if there is a potential rootkit infection, then that too can be deleted with the help of this system restore method. The restore has to be done to the factory settings. If you simply repair the existing system, then the infections will persist in the computer.

I dont think that the potential rootkit infection can be removed with the normal detection methods. My suggestion is to format the computer if any of the above solutions do not work in your case. Make sure that you install a totally new copy of the operating that you want to use. I am sure that your issue is solved with the help of this method. Wish you all the best.

Hey people, I am happy to inform you that the potential rootkit infection has been removed from my system. I did not format the computer, neither did I enable the system restore. The only thing I did was boot scanning my system with the help of the Quick Heal antivirus. I already had this antivirus and knew that it also has the boot scan feature. Anyways, all your comments and suggestions were very helpful.